.223 reloading cartridge problems

Gentlemen,

Great response regarding salvaging primers! Given the cases have bulges, and would not fit into the chamber of the rifle, I do not think they'd fit into the resizing/depriming die....wouldn't want to get them stuck. Tried to cut the end off of one of these screw-ups-in-question, but only bent the case. Given your input, I reckon the best course-of-action is to "chuck the cases, lick my wounds and should I elect to...crimp .223 in the future (probably not), I'll follow your advice...9 steps."

Again, REALLY appreciate the input....this is a GREAT SITE OR WHAT!

Wideners www.wideners.com usually has OFMB in bulk and your 55 grain Hornady Spire point's too.

Just keep in mind that a 223 and a 556 are 2 different cartrifges. The Military 556 has a thicker wall and is designed for a lower pressure. Nothwithstanding, they work just fine. I've loaded thousands, literally.

Mil spec 556's are also a bit shorter than a 223 in a factory/military load.

No offense sidecarflip but....
NATO spec for 556 is USA 63Kpsi max and SAAMI max for 223 is 55Kpsi. The bullet leade is longer on NATO 556 to accommodate heavy bullets. When I measured brass back in the day the milspec brass was the same capacity as commercial. Western Powders lists two different load tables, one for 223 @ 55 Kpsi max and another for 556 @ 62,350psi. If the brass is an odd duck (like "CJ" headstamp) the capacity can vary a lot.

I'd send in a pix of my 556 brass collection but the camers lense is not a wide angle....

KB

I know they are different but in as much as I alwayd FL resize to 223 (OFMB), it's moot for me. I don't own a 556 anyway. No black guns here..lol

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts