.223 reloading help

Scottf

I've been searching for some older posting on .223 reloads for savage 1-9" twist but cannot find them again. I am looking for so pointers on where to start with reloads. My best factor loads have been Blackhills 68 gr Match HP but have been unable to reproduce this load. Any advise would be appricated.

I shoot p-dogs with 55 vmax over 25 grains of varget. I can get one inch groups at 300 yards with that load in my 12fv. Does a great job on the p-dogs. I also had a older pencil barreled 110 that I shot out of a shooting vise with nosler 80 grain bthp, I'll have to go home and check what power I was running but I managed a 4 shot group at 600 that I could cover with my hand. And they say you can't shot 80's with a 1 in 9 twist! Ha.

My best load for my 223 savage is: Lapua match brass, CCI primers, 25.5gn Varget and 52g SMK. Getting repeatable 1/4" groups at 100. Hope this helps.

I have been using Win 748 26.5, Blackhiils Match cases, Remington BR Primers with good repeatable results in my Savage Tactical Bolt Action.
The other place where there are people with information about Savage Rifle reloading is http://www.savageshooters.com/
Cheers,
btm_54

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.