hart?kreigor?douglas?

lineman2002

Wanting a new barrel for model700 vls in 22-250 i punch alot of paper wondering what yalls thought were on a barrel? So many out there and of course wanting the most accurate.

I have had exceptional results from Kreiger, Hart, Broughton and Bartlein (no particular order), but Bartlein's current production delays give me pause nowdays. So I would go for any of the other 3 without hesitation.

JeffVN

Kreiger. My Smith builds a lot of benchrest guns. Mainly in 6mmBR and refuses to use anything but kreigers. I have had great luck with my rifles that wear kreigers. Wouldn't use anything else.

Some differences you may want to study here.

Krieger is a 4 land barrel. I have one on a 6br that shoots very well, but I also had one on a 300 win that I replaced as it never shot good from the get go. Maybe the barrel maybe not. But the new replacement is a Broughton 5C barrel and shoots light out.

I am very fond of the 5C rifling look into that. I feel it is a great choice, especially for the larger cals and many claim it to be a faster barrel.

The Hart will probably be a 6 land barrel. The last Hart I had was one of the tightest group shooter I ever owned.

I was torn between the Broughton 5C and the Hart 6 land when I rebarreled my 300 win. I went with the broughton. But, I am getting ready to order a barrel for another 7mm/300 build, this one will be a Hart.

Many choices and I really do not know what would be best for your 22-250 but just wanted you to be aware that you had the choice between 4 , 5 or 6 lands.

OR... if you punch a lot of paper.... turn it into a 6mmbr and you may just find a new love.

Good Luck!

Jeff

look at BERGARA drop in, I just finished another .223 and like the others, it shoots "bug holes". 26" varmint conture, stainless steel, and the when you look down the bore with scope, it looks like a mirror finish !

Like others have said... ford, chevy, dodge

And, as Broz hinted... If you're that hung up on accuracy, change calibers to one of the better known accuracy rounds. 6mmbr, 6x47 lapua, etc...

Of course, the rifle/ammo as a system and the smith doing the work needs to be up to the task or you really won't be able to discern the difference between quality barrel makers.

I would pick Shilen because it's close to home and I can drive there to discuss things. Perhaps there's a good Mfg near you?

Good luck!

For what you are doing it really makes no difference---the Smith is the key here.

On my rifles both competition and sporters use Krieger. Even have a few blanks and threaded tubes in the safe as spares lol.

There are a lot of good barrel makers out there so my recommendation would be to get on line
and look at the acceptance criteria of each barrel (Max tolerance excepted)an make your choice.

I use a lot of Lilja Barrels for this reason. (He only makes one grade) and I have never found one
that did not shoot and clean any better.

If you chose one from another barrel maker look at the different grades and chose based on that
NOT PRICE. Because you get what you pay for.

J E CUSTOM

Good luck:D i dont think you can go wrong with any of them. They are all still in bussiness because they are doing something right and make high quality barrels that people continue to buy so buy the best you can afford and dont look back. I however do like the idea of switching to a 6MMBR.

Nothing wrong with the other but I am a HUGE fan of Broughton barrels. The perfromance from the ones I had were stellar and the barrel wear I got from one I put on a 6-284 was asstounding. I will use 5C barrels for a long long time on all my guns.

I currently have two now one in 7mm dakota and another ordered for my next 7mm project.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.