30 Hart

GeyerC

Does anybody have experience with the 30 Hart. I'm attempting to help my step dad from brass. He's formed some cases in the past using harts cream/wheat procedure with poor results.

Anyhow, he just grabbed 50 new pieces of Norma and we're gona give it another go.

Respectfully,
Cg

google 30 hart rifle case , info comes up about talk on this forum ,you can search this forum also ,maybe someone will help and tell us . There's special forming die's that use water to expand the brass and it's almost completely formed , one member has his gunsmith make his forming dies , Whidden Gunworks makes them also .cheers

Does anybody have experience with the 30 Hart. I'm attempting to help my step dad from brass. He's formed some cases in the past using harts cream/wheat procedure with poor results.

Anyhow, he just grabbed 50 new pieces of Norma and we're gona give it another go.

Respectfully,
Cg
IIRC, @Joel Russo used to have one. The .30 Hart is similar to my .30 LARA and .300 Jarrett; basically an improved .300 WBY. Mine can shoot a factory .300 WBY ammo without any issues.
.300 WBTY vs .30 LARA.jpg

My dies are custom-made by Whidden, including a hydraulic forming die.
1698808730925.jpeg

As @jjmp , if you have a sizer reamer, you can have your GS build you one using,

1698808581046.jpeg

1698808607995.jpeg

1698808635952.jpeg

8MM to .30 LARA.jpg

L-R
1 - 8MM RM virgin brass
2- After running through hydraulic forming die
3 - After running through sizing die
4- After fire-forming off the chamber

I can fire-form using 8MM RM, 7MM STW, .416 RM, .358 STA, .375 H&H, .300 H&H (most challenging), and now Peterson basic belted brass (https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/88971)

I can also shoot factory .300 WBY and .300 Jarrett (very pricey) ammunition.

Last edited:
I use the cream of wheat method for forming ackley improved cartridges. First time I tried it I overstretched some 22-250 Lapua cases causing a high rate of separations on shot 2. I've adapted by establishing a false shoulder prior for COW forming and have not lost a case since.

Instead of a form die, I would anneal, expand 8mm to 338, anneal, fl size to 30 Hart with moderate bolt close force, anneal, then fireform by COW method with Titegroup or similar. With some testing, you can find a charge that gets you fully formed without going too hot.