30 Hart

Just looking for what might be the better 30 caliber mag rounds than the 30 hart for 1000 yard shoot?? any negative or positive feed back on the 30 hart.

Woodchuck

After 16 years in a row, shooting at Williamsport, I can't remember a 30 Hart ever winning the year end aggregates in the 6 and 10 match.
I don't recall a Record Group or score being shot by one either.

The 30 Goodling and 308 Baer on the other hand have won these areas of fire.

The main thing is, a good barrel to start with, excellent gunsmith tecniques, a competitor who knows how to shoot and load well and works at it to improve himself, and the luck of good relays, is what determines how good the groups and scores will be throughout the season.

A good 300 Win mag will do every bit as well as any 30 cal shooting at 1000 yards. So will a good 300 Weatherby which has also won aggs.

Good brass is another area to consider when choosing a 30 cal to own and shoot 1000 yards.

If you put all the 30 cal inproved configurations in a pile and pulled one out, they would all be somewhat the same. Most of the time, they will use the same or nearly the same load too.
Now the trick is to find a good load, a good barrel, a good gunsmith and do your part and you "might" just get it to shoot.

Just my 2 cents worth.
DC

As an add on here---It also has to do with the numbers of rifles in a certain configuaration. If 50 people are shooting 300 Weathetbys and only 5 are shooting something else, the odds of the 50 shooters getting good results with the Weatherbys are much better.

[ 05-02-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

DC
THANK YOU THIS IS WHAT I WANTED TO HERE. FOR THE MOST PART THE 30 IMPROVEDS ARE CLOSE IN CONFIGURATION THE THE STRAIGHT 30 MAGS WITH DO THE JOB WITH THE RIGHT PARTS AND WORK. WHAT IS YOU FEELING ON THE 30-378.
THANK YOU

Woodchuck

The 30/378 is a fine LR cartridge.
For 1000 yd match shooting, a shortened version is desired.

Howard Wolfe the noted LR gunsmith at Williamsport, shortened the 378 case to hold right around 100 grs of powder for target shooting.
It works well for him and his Son.

The 30/378 running with full loads have been known to shoot out barrels after only 600 rounds.
A great winter time LR hunting round though.

Later
DC

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.