Hard to believe

I used to be a basketball gym rat. Sometimes we would stand at 1/2 court looking at one hoop and throw up one handed shots at the hoop behind us. I could consistantly hit the backboard and rim. If I shot for 15 minutes I'd make a couple. One day in college I threw one of these shots up in front of strangers and it went in on the first try. I shrugged like it wasn't a big deal and walked out of the gym. That day I made that shot consistently.

I was a member of Varmint Hunter for years and read many articles about shooting out that 850 yard and further with the 223. They had pictures of shots like that and I have to believe the stories were true. If I had the time I would go through a few of them just to post but I have shelves full of them, think I'm only missing a few of them because I was a life member, and not the time. Would love to sell the whole lot if anyone is interested.
Heck, it was and is still doable, most of the time with heavier bullets and not quite as much wind involved. We are all good on non windy days.

I read on another forum that a long time user and shooter claims he is making consistent shots on prairie dogs at 850 yards with his AR 223 shooting 40 and 50 grain bullets ! He then said he is making these shots in 30 mph crosswinds !! I find this impossible to believe but I wanted to ask all of you if you have ever seen anyone perform this feat ? I did not call him out because I did not want to embarrass him for his canard , especially if it's not personal. My only thought was magic bullets !
Its bunk, talk is cheap. I shoot 800 yards with 223 and 75 g eldx all the time. staying on a 12 inch gong in 8 mph plus winds chaĺlenging. In heavier winds say 15 up turns things into mostly a waste of ammo.
on a STILL day I once shot a 3 inch group of 5 at 800 yards.
my shooting partner is a very good shot and hed laugh at that.

Yup magic bullets and 6 hail marrys.

Its bunk, talk is cheap. I shoot 800 yards with 223 and 75 g eldx all the time. staying on a 12 inch gong in 8 mph plus winds chaĺlenging. In heavier winds say 15 up turns things into mostly a waste of ammo.
on a STILL day I once shot a 3 inch group of 5 at 800 yards.
my shooting partner is a very good shot and hed laugh at that.

Yup magic bullets and 6 hail marrys.
thats an ELD-M

I read on another forum that a long time user and shooter claims he is making consistent shots on prairie dogs at 850 yards with his AR 223 shooting 40 and 50 grain bullets ! He then said he is making these shots in 30 mph crosswinds !! I find this impossible to believe but I wanted to ask all of you if you have ever seen anyone perform this feat ? I did not call him out because I did not want to embarrass him for his canard , especially if it's not personal. My only thought was magic bullets !
LOL maybe his rangefinder is busted!

Shooting fat PA grounds with my 22-243AI and a 75gr Amax bullet makes 800yd shots probable on a calm day. Add a 30 mph wind and i couldn't get "reliable" hits if my life depended on it!

I'd raise the BS flag on the .223/30mph claim.
I also shoot the 22-243 AI with 75 gr V-Max and 80 gr ELD's. And no way can make it happen with wind let alone without it........223 in the AR is 440 yds max in slight wind, 15 mph winds is hard to get constant hits.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts