Hard to believe

I read on another forum that a long time user and shooter claims he is making consistent shots on prairie dogs at 850 yards with his AR 223 shooting 40 and 50 grain bullets ! He then said he is making these shots in 30 mph crosswinds !! I find this impossible to believe but I wanted to ask all of you if you have ever seen anyone perform this feat ? I did not call him out because I did not want to embarrass him for his canard , especially if it's not personal. My only thought was magic bullets !
I am calling BS on that one.

Yeah, I think could do the same with an an arrow from my recurve bow also. But my recurve will only propel the arrow around 230yds in total. So it would take 4 successive shots to get out there to prairie dog town. Wonder if that would count for purposes of connecting at 800 yds? 🧐

Last edited:
I read on another forum that a long time user and shooter claims he is making consistent shots on prairie dogs at 850 yards with his AR 223 shooting 40 and 50 grain bullets ! He then said he is making these shots in 30 mph crosswinds !! I find this impossible to believe but I wanted to ask all of you if you have ever seen anyone perform this feat ? I did not call him out because I did not want to embarrass him for his canard , especially if it's not personal. My only thought was magic bullets !
"Consistent" me thinks not....

I once shot a dog at 385 yards with a Rem 700 VS in .223 50gr V-Max off a bench. It was a little skill and a whole lot of luck!
PS - took three shots with a spotter to hit the booger.

I was a member of Varmint Hunter for years and read many articles about shooting out that 850 yard and further with the 223. They had pictures of shots like that and I have to believe the stories were true. If I had the time I would go through a few of them just to post but I have shelves full of them, think I'm only missing a few of them because I was a life member, and not the time. Would love to sell the whole lot if anyone is interested.
I used to read Varmint Hunter too and Yes, you can! But it all goes downhill from there. You add the AR platform, the consistently pretty much is gone. Then add 40-50 grain bullets and a 30 mph wind, consistently no longer exists.

I've been shooting groundhogs for most of my adult life and kind of know a BS groundhog story when I hear one. Several years back a guy was in the LGS boasting about all the 1,000 yd groundhog kills he has. I was curious so I asked, " what kind of a rifle are you using." He says he uses his 25-06 whitetail rifle. I immediately suspected that he was full of sh__ so I asked him what kind of rangefinder he was using. He couldn't even think of the name of one and admitted that he never owned a rangefinder.
Case closed.

Your better than me. I would have to called him out on that claim. I mean what level of accuracy does the gun have to be capable of let alone user error wind drift being totally unpredictable over that distance. Your gonna need hip waders for that level of b.s.

I'm a competitive handgun shooter and I've seen the same type of stuff on other forums. Guys talking about shooting 1" groups off hand with stock or slightly modified pistols at 50 yards. It made me start to doubt my manhood till I realized it was all rubbish. 😊
I had the 1.5" Les Baer, I had to try, off a rest mind you, well, I sucked, end of story. In retrospect, after messing around with PCC's at 50 and beyond, using self defense loads may have helped slightly.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.