Hand primer

Yep that is the one I just ordered. I have the Pro2 case trimmer that has the universal case holder and it works great. Amazing how much faster than turning an adjustment to hold the case.

I had the first Hornady Auto Prime from the 1990's. It worked excellent. Then I sold it for a RCBS Universal Auto Prime. Only problem with this one was that you have 1-2 primers out of 10 not alligning properly when you seat the primer which could cause the primer anvil to slip out of the cup. Nevertheless then I replaced it with a new recent Hornady Auto Prime. It was differently constructed than the first one, but it cause some markings on the bottom of the primer. I am now back with the RCBS Auto Prime which works with the shell holder. It is not so easy to convert to another size primer, but it just seats every primer excellent in it's place.

I have an old round tray Lee and an RCBS.

The old Lee is pretty flawless but I didn't feel the primer bottom with some of the shell holders. So I use the the aluminum tape that HVAC guys use on metal air ducts and put one or two layers on the top of the shell holder and trim it to fit with a fresh utility knife blade. It takes a shove to get the shell holder into the handle but it takes out all the play between the tool and the shell holder. The Lee now seats to the bottom of the primer pocket with a good feel. I never had a fail to fire or a high seated primer with the Lee before the aluminum tape trick but I like the primer seated fully for sure for sure.

Had a problem with the RCBS not seating any of the small primers (rifle or pistol) flush much less below the case head. The solution for me was to use an old drill bit and reduce the diameter a few thousandths in a drill press with sandpaper. I made it about 0.015" longer and flattened the punch end to eliminate the marring the factory punch was doing to the primer faces. It seats well now and I have extra RCBS shell holders for each caliber/case head size that stay with the tool and are exclusive to the priming tool. Considering the problems I've had with it and the solutions required to fix them I would not buy another RCBS hand primer.

I don't believe in "universal shell holders" of any sort for any reason. If the primer jams against the case head even slightly you risk crushing the priming compound or knocking the anvil out of alignment. It is just not worth it to me. In the hundreds of thousands (literally) of reloads I've made and fired the only misfires were two for lack of powder when a progressive press failed to drop powder and three failed primers that were seated with the old press mounted priming punches. That's why I went to hand priming and why I don't trust "universal" anything.

KB

I must not have sensitive enough hands. The RCBS works great for me. I check every single primer with a swipe of my finger to ensure it's seated below the case head. Very rarely do I even feel one that seem not quite deep enough, I just tip the primers back in the tray and squish that one again. Never had a single problem using the RCBS. If someone has $120 to spend on a primer tool more power to them.

I rotate my primers 120 degrees and seat them to the bottom three times. When the thumb lever is bottomed against the tool on three turns and the primer is still high "We have a problem, Houston". The factory punch leaves a ring indented into the surface of the primer because it does not support the primer edge to edge across the face. It is just small enough to hit inside the sides of the primer causing the radius to buckle under the seating pressure. I try for 0.003" - 0.005" below the head but with some case/primer combinations flush is about it.

Just for reference, I have reloaded 100,000's of rounds. I used to shoot machine guns competition in Idaho and a days practice is 1k. When I started reloading in 1971I would shoot 500 rounds every weekend through my S&W M28 and cast bullets and reload my ammo the next week for the following weekend. Even for my progressive press in 45 ACP I hand prime everything.

I got this priming thing down.

KB

One thing I do to save time is after seating the primer I release the ram only enough to remove the case and check the primer depth. If it is Okay I fully release the lever and shake another primer into place. It saves trying to shake back primers out of the feed slot if you have to reseat a high primer.

KB

Another vote for the RCBS!

s7_216103_999_01.jpg

Lee makes a great one! I have worn out one and the second is going strong, using one for 30 years...

Go here: S.S. Priming Tool read and drool, spend the loot; be happy. This is the best priming tool I've ever seen, used, or owned and when you use it you'll know you're using a real professional hand priming tool.

I've been using the one they have for Lee trays for a few years and I love that thing. So smooth and easy to adjust. It was worth the money by far.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.