Frankfort Arsenal Hand primer

ppoole

I recently bought a frankford arsenal hand primer because my rcbs bit the dust. I was using my press for a while to prime (Redding ultra mag and Forster co ax). I wanted to control depth and feel a little better. My problem is that the ram leaves marks on cci primers. I have been loading 223 and 308 for my hog campaign. My big guns I have been priming on my press which honestly has been working great but it takes forever and gloves aren't as easy to come by.

Is this user error or do I need to adjust it a little different or would Lee shell holders actually help with alignment. I do not like seeing these and basically am refusing to load my nice custom/semi customs with ammo primed like this.

OK this jumps to mind with your problem, the priming tool has a primer seating depth adjustment and it sounds like it's set too deep. Back it off and start there, you can take it down slowly until you hit the depth you want. The primer seating rod for SRP has a slight bevel cut around the edge not flat all the way across, make sure you have the LRP assembly in the tool (flat on top). This can produce circular ring indentions in primer face if pushing after primer bottoms in case pocket. If you notice the rcbs hand primer has a rod that can flip either way unlike the frankford, one end is beveled the other flat. Flat side up feeds LR primer and won't mark your primer faces when seating. On frankford there are two seater assemblies. Noticed in your post the you are loading both large and small primers for the two cartridges, make sure to change primer seaters accordingly.

Last edited:
I'll play with it some more today. See if I can adjust it down. I'll stay with small rifle right now, I have my press set up for my large rifle now and have good results with it. Thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.