Hammer vs Cutting Edge bullets

KSB209

I've read a lot of you guys load the Hammer bullets and have had nothing but good things to say about them on game. What about the Cutting Edge bullets?? Im guessing they are a sponsor of this website because they are advertised in it.

so what's the good, bad, and the ugly of each of these? Just curious. I have to use non lead bullets in CA. Right now I'm shooting Barnes and nosler e-tip

I found both the E-Tips and the CE bullets difficult to find accurate loads with. I'm sure they're both great bullets once you've got them dialed in but the Hammers Hunters are much easier to load accurately.

I've tried the CE MTH's in 3 rifles now (2 .257 cals and one .308 cal) and just can't get them to shoot at the speeds I was hoping for and none of them have grouped with a dang. I have resorted to using the .257 bullets to fireform and the .308 ones are now gathering dust.

I'm running hammers in 5 different rifles now (.257, .277, .284, .308 and .358) and they all have been a reloaders dream to work up loads.

What cal are you wanting to try them in?

It will be for 308. Just starting out with loading myself and was thinking about ordering some Hammers. Seems like there are only positive reviews on this board. Haven't seen anyone mention the CUtting edge bullets.

In my .308Win I'm running 46.5gr Benchmark under a Barnes 130gr TTSX in Lapua cases. This load shoots an amazing 1.5" at 400yds consistently. I shot an 8 point buck that was facing me. The buck slammed to the ground and never moved again.

Normally, I'd shoot a heavier bullet but just wanted to try the 130gr TTSX because of all the good reviews that I've read. I'm sold!

I can only speak to my experience with the .284 155 MTH bullets in my 28 Nosler. I've had zero issues with them and they group sub 1/2 MOA for me. I've been tossing around trying Hammer, but cutting edge is 3 miles up the road from me and I can pick them up avoiding delivery and such.

I'll throw Makers in there also. I've used them in subs and they've been great.

I have three boxes of Hammers to play with to give a better opinion on, mainly because I wanted to see what all the hooplah is about.

I have shot & taken elk with the Barnes, Hammers , & GMX. They alll work, no problem. This last year I bought 100 6.5 "Badlands Precision " out of S,D.. They have proven to be extremely accurate, as accurate as any of the others. Enclosed is a picture of a Nosler 6.5 140gr AB on the left & a 6.5 125gr Badlands mono on the right. As you can see the Badlands bullet is slightly longer than the Nosler. .509 BC for the Nosler & .510 for the Badlands. Aluminum tip on the Badlands.

Attachments

• 260 001.JPG
    260 001.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 176
Have
I have shot & taken elk with the Barnes, Hammers , & GMX. They alll work, no problem. This last year I bought 100 6.5 "Badlands Precision " out of S,D.. They have proven to be extremely accurate, as accurate as any of the others. Enclosed is a picture of a Nosler 6.5 140gr AB on the left & a 6.5 125gr Badlands mono on the right. As you can see the Badlands bullet is slightly longer than the Nosler. .509 BC for the Nosler & .510 for the Badlands. Aluminum tip on the Badlands.
Have you taken any elk or other game with the badlands? If so, how'd they do?

Ok I can help here.
I've shot all the gambit of cup and core from nosler to Berger and all the other brands. Then I went to cutting edge. They were very good. They were much better than lead for consistency and knowing the billet won't fail at extreme velocity.
I shot them for years then tried the hammer. Hammers are much easier to load for. They also had much better better in game performance. By that I mean they tend to do more internal damage and leave a much bigger nicer exit for blood. Cutting edge was always just a hole the size of the bore. I think the cutting edge loses less of the front of the bullet cause less internal damage.
cutting edge does have a higher bc than hammer but at longer ranges I have a feeling they won't open as easily as hammers. I've since been shooting only hammer and are very happy with them for the wide range in which they can be used.

I just got these Badlands Presion bullets last winter, so I haven't been able to use them, as yet. A friend took a better than average bull with them. Perfect one shot kill. They appear to work as good as the other brands & stellar accuracy. Every bit as good as any other brand. As stated before I have taken a lot of elk over the years & every mono I have used has worked. I get consistent tiny groups with the Barnes, Hammer, GMX, & the Badlands bullets. Regardless of brand it all comes down to proper bullet placement. Pick the brand you like & go with it. The only difference I see is the price..

Ok I can help here.
I've shot all the gambit of cup and core from nosler to Berger and all the other brands. Then I went to cutting edge. They were very good. They were much better than lead for consistency and knowing the billet won't fail at extreme velocity.
I shot them for years then tried the hammer. Hammers are much easier to load for. They also had much better better in game performance. By that I mean they tend to do more internal damage and leave a much bigger nicer exit for blood. Cutting edge was always just a hole the size of the bore. I think the cutting edge loses less of the front of the bullet cause less internal damage.
cutting edge does have a higher bc than hammer but at longer ranges I have a feeling they won't open as easily as hammers. I've since been shooting only hammer and are very happy with them for the wide range in which they can be used.
Snox,

I just got a couple of boxes of the Cutting in .224 edges to try. I wasn't planning to hunt with them, except maybe for varmints out this way.

Although you have transitioned over to the Hammers, did you have a tough time loading the CE's for accuracy? I was hoping for a quality 550 yard 223 load out of the ones I ordered, but in reading over many comments here on LRH, I wonder how much of a pain in the butt I am in for as far as getting these to actually shoot.

I did not have much trouble loading for them.
I still shoot the 400gr in my .375 Am cause I loaded 100 and haven't shot them all yet.
That rifle was the only one That just wouldn't shoot the 350gr laser. But shoots the 400 great.
I think the heavy for caliber seem to do ok with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.