Hammer bullets in 308 win and 30-06

Finally was able to load up some 152 shock hammers in my 308 and 152 hammer hunters in my 300 wsm AV fps in my 300 wsm was 3318with n550 and right at a inch group out of factory browning abolt 2 with 22inch barrel still doing load work would like to get under inch and AV out of 20 inch barrel on my 308 was 2713 vith varget and 1/2 inch groups

Last edited:
The .308 I got is an old kimber with pencil barrel probally no more than 200-300 yards

Run the 124

Interesting. At what point does the 124 start to lead the 152 (I'm talking sledge hammer or shock hammer or whatever the bigger hollow point is called now)

Based on my limited experience, I would think over 3000fps plus impact velocity, it's going to be hard to tell them apart, but out of a .308win? I went with the 152SH myself. I don't put down as many bears as I used to, so (hopefully) it'll be a while before I have some data on that one.

What do you think the threshold is there, 'bean, or is the 124 just all around a better bullet?

Interesting. At what point does the 124 start to lead the 152 (I'm talking sledge hammer or shock hammer or whatever the bigger hollow point is called now)

Based on my limited experience, I would think over 3000fps plus impact velocity, it's going to be hard to tell them apart, but out of a .308win? I went with the 152SH myself. I don't put down as many bears as I used to, so (hopefully) it'll be a while before I have some data on that one.

What do you think the threshold is there, 'bean, or is the 124 just all around a better bullet?
Impact velocity is the key and IMO the 124HH is the do all 30cal driven correctly

47 grains Benchmark is giving me 2948 fps. But 48 is over pressure. I haven't played with COAL to fine tune the groups but it's fast with the AH. Lapua brass, Fed 210 M gold primers and .002 neck tension. I'm still experimenting and testing so I'm not ready to publish my results quite yet.
Did you ever end up finalizing this load? I am trying to run benchmark with 151 ah and would love to see where you ended up

Did you ever end up finalizing this load? I am trying to run benchmark with 151 ah and would love to see where you ended up
I ended up moving and all my reloading equipment was in boxes. So I didn't get to finish this work. But I'm pretty impressed with Benchmark. This winter I'll break it out again and see what we can do!

I am using N550 with the 151s and they are hauling @$$ with fantastic accuracy. I doubt there is anything in North America that can shrug it off inside 500 yards. I found an accurscy node between 49 and 50 grains which is compressed but also .5 below where I got pressure signs. My average velocity out of a 22" PVA barrel is 2881 using Federal Match LRM primers. Just assorted brass I bought off Fancybrass.