308 vs 30 06

lallo

What is the difference between these two calibers? What can the 30 06 do that the 308 can´t do and vice versa?
Thinking about deer,elk and caribou hunting.

308 is a more accurate round and quite easy to load for. 30-06 has the slight edge in velocity and energy, it is better suited for heavier .308 bullets. (200 gr and up). I have both and prefer the .308. Hope this helps.

Frank D

As factory guns go the 308 probably has the accuracy edge but tin a custom gun their equal , the 30-06 will probably give 100-200 fps with hand loads and will show this more noticably with the heavier bullets.
The 308 has ALOT more factory match type loads
Personaly I don't think that you would see a differance ballisticaly until you got out to 500+yds then I still don't think the animal would know the differance.

I've got a couple guns in each caliber. The .308 can come in some real nice lightweight compact guns. The '06 has the case capacity (IMHO) to be more flexible. I recently wanted to buy a BAR and couldn't make up my mind between the two calibers. After doing a little studying I figured that in "like" guns the difference in velocity between the two is used up in 75-100 yds. Being that where I hunt I would never get a shot over 200 yds I figured the difference was definately meaningless between the two. AND being that most shots are under 100 I came to believe the bullets would actually have better terminal performance in the .308 than the '06. (HOW MANY posts have you seen where a guy starts by saying he had a bullet failure in a .308??))!! I guess if it's gonna be a "one gun" arsenal I'd go '06 but for where I do most my hunting the .308 is definately the better choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.