30-06 over 308

Hello all as title says I've been thanking about buying a Remington 700 adl in 30-06 to do my first semi custom rifle build and my question is is there really a need for a 30-06 if I already have 2 308s I do have everything but brass to load for a 30-06 but up to 175 grain bullets what can a 30-06 give me over my 308 for whitetailto elk.if I do not buy a 30-06 I will most likely try to find a 300 wm or 300 wsm. Thanks in advance

I can only comment from my own experience. I have shot 308 in competition, using a number of platforms from the venerable M1 Garand (in 308) through custom-made bolt guns. I own several on different platforms. I own a custom made 6.5 Creedmoor. I have several 30-06s in both custom and stock platforms. I reload ammo, including all three. I have been shooting now for 65 years. At my age, I am getting recoil sensitive. While I prefer the 6.5 and 308 for their recoil, I find I am most accurate at distance with the 30-06. I just finished a 3 day shoot at a facility in Southern Oregon in which I put (400) 168 grain bullets down range from 100 yards to 900 yards with the 06. My 06, with a muzzle brake, is a pleasure to shoot, gives me a bit more range than the 308 and hits harder than either the 308 or 6.5, judging from the ring of the metal targets at range. 308 brass is the easiest to come by however, as is loaded ammo. Loaded 6.5 ammo, including match ammo, is probably the hardest to find due to its popularity and certainly is painfully expensive.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.