30-06 over 308

Hello all as title says I've been thanking about buying a Remington 700 adl in 30-06 to do my first semi custom rifle build and my question is is there really a need for a 30-06 if I already have 2 308s I do have everything but brass to load for a 30-06 but up to 175 grain bullets what can a 30-06 give me over my 308 for whitetailto elk.if I do not buy a 30-06 I will most likely try to find a 300 wm or 300 wsm. Thanks in advance
I just built up my Rem700 30-06, and it is a hammer. I am loading up 208gr Hornady ELD Match over 57.0gr of H4831SC, 2500fps. Factory barrel, Timney 2 stage set @ 1lb2oz. I have not taken it out hunting as I just put it together, but plan to this year either here in PA, or in AZ. It trumps the .308, but that also comes from the ability to handload for the cartridge.

Attachments

• 20200711_221017.jpg
    20200711_221017.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 103
  • 20200421_211940.jpg
    20200421_211940.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 113
  • 20200825_200205.jpg
    20200825_200205.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
Good looking rifle.what model did it start out as if you dont mind me asking?
It is a Remington 700 ADL. Stock is a Boyds Pro Varmint. Trigger is a Timney Calvin Elite 2 Stage (set to 1lb 2oz). EGW 20MOA scope base. Burris XTR 30mm rings. Vortex PST Gen1 4-16x50mm. Bolt knob is NDZ Performance. Profiled the factory bolt arm, and threaded myself! Polished the bolt arm, and bolt body. Factory action, and factory barrel.

I have two ADLs, both in 300 winmag, and both are shooters. One I won in a raffle in Lubbock, Texas at the NRA dinner in August of '98. I'd just gotten back from Germany. My brother wouldn't let me trade it until after we shot it. It shot cloverleafs with iron sights at 50 yards and 75 yards, to point of aim for both of us. The bullet holes touched. They touched every time, and it was shooting the cheapest Remington ammo we could buy. I still have it and it shoots ragged holes with 5 shots at 100 yards. The Remington 700 is accurate out of the box nearly all the time, and it makes a very easy to customize rifle. I want to sneak one in the house in the Remington Long Range, in 30-06 and 25-06. But my wife now knows that they don't really breed in the closet. My 35 Whelens are both on Remington 700 actions, too. One is straight from the factory, the other was built by William Trotter. They're shooters, too.

I have two ADLs, both in 300 winmag, and both are shooters. One I won in a raffle in Lubbock, Texas at the NRA dinner in August of '98. I'd just gotten back from Germany. My brother wouldn't let me trade it until after we shot it. It shot cloverleafs with iron sights at 50 yards and 75 yards, to point of aim for both of us. The bullet holes touched. They touched every time, and it was shooting the cheapest Remington ammo we could buy. I still have it and it shoots ragged holes with 5 shots at 100 yards. The Remington 700 is accurate out of the box nearly all the time, and it makes a very easy to customize rifle. I want to sneak one in the house in the Remington Long Range, in 30-06 and 25-06. But my wife now knows that they don't really breed in the closet. My 35 Whelens are both on Remington 700 actions, too. One is straight from the factory, the other was built by William Trotter. They're shooters, too.
That is awesome man! Thanks for sharing that! And whats parts of Germany were you in sir?

It is a Remington 700 ADL. Stock is a Boyds Pro Varmint. Trigger is a Timney Calvin Elite 2 Stage (set to 1lb 2oz). EGW 20MOA scope base. Burris XTR 30mm rings. Vortex PST Gen1 4-16x50mm. Bolt knob is NDZ Performance. Profiled the factory bolt arm, and threaded myself! Polished the bolt arm, and bolt body. Factory action, and factory barrel.
Awesome it looks good for sure

Cool man that's what I've been looking to build off of just dont know much about the newer rem 700 the last one I had I was pretty mad about after one hunting season the blueing started coming off and they wouldn't do anything about it

So have I. It kicks pretty good.

Randy Newberg answers the question what caliber for deer or elk.

As you can see this discussion has gone on for fourteen pages and the positive suggestions and ideas keep on coming. I'd say we're splitting hairs when it comes to .30-06 and the .308. Both are good calibers and will bring down deer, mule deer, antelope, elk and moose provided you're not taking a shot beyond your abilities or the performance limitation of the ammo you're using.

YouTube is racked full of videos of hunters taking spectacular shots out to 1000+ yards. We wish we were that proficient and I'm sure that many of us are. I'm not there yet. Until I work up to those longer distances I'll shoot out to 400 yards.

At the end of the day its personal preference for caliber and rifle manufacture.

Last edited:
Cool man that's what I've been looking to build off of just dont know much about the newer rem 700 the last one I had I was pretty mad about after one hunting season the blueing started coming off and they wouldn't do anything about it
My last ADL was a stainless barrel and action in 300WM. I had trouble with the scope mounts but once that issue was resolved, it was within an inch at 100 yards. The first one (my $30 raffle rifle) is matte blue, also 300WM, and shoots around .7 inch at 100 yards. It has a 6X18 Shepherd V1 scope on it.

Randy Newberg answers the question what caliber for deer or elk.

As you can see this discussion has gone on for fourteen pages and the positive suggestions and ideas keep on coming. I'd say we're splitting hairs when it comes to .30-06 and the .308. Both are good calibers and will bring down deer, mule deer, antelope, elk and moose provided you're not taking a shot beyond your abilities or the performance limitation of the ammo you're using.

YouTube is racked full of videos of hunters taking spectacular shots out to 1000+ yards. We wish we were that proficient and I'm sure that many of us are. I'm not there yet. Until I work up to those longer distances I'll shoot out to 400 yards.

At the end of the day its personal preference for caliber and rifle manufacture.

Good video. I would use the -06 simply because it will deliver a heavier, denser bullet to the animal with more penetration if I happen to hit heavy bone. I hate blood trailing especially just before dark. I practice at ranges well beyond what I would be comfortable shooting game so that at ranges where I am comfortable, I can be sure of a hit. I practice under field conditions so that when I get a shot under those conditions I can be sure I'll be able to make the shot. I generally load both the 30-06 and the .300WM with 180 to 200 grain bullets just to insure good straight line penetration out to around 500 yards. That's about my limit on game animals, because I want them to be DRT, not dead at the bottom of a ravine or maybe a mile away. I hunted elk and deer with the -06 and the 300WM until I started using a .35 Whelen. A 225 or 250 grain bullet works even better.

Randy makes a good point in the video. Practicing in a controlled environment like the range is not the same as out in the field.

The shooting club where I am a member has one range out to 300 yards where you can shoot prone, sitting, kneeling and standing. We can learn to be comfortable and accurate using any one of those positions in the field.

Randy makes a good point in the video. Practicing in a controlled environment like the range is not the same as out in the field.

The shooting club where I am a member has one range out to 300 yards where you can shoot prone, sitting, kneeling and standing. We can learn to be comfortable and accurate using any one of those positions in the field.
Mine goes to 600 and we can do the same thing. I also get to practice on several ranches where I can shoot at various distances at prairie dogs and have to estimate ranges. I do a lot of shooting off of sticks at p dogs.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.