Hammer .284 177g Hammer Hunter twist rate

RB II

I have a custom 28 Nosler that is throated for the Berger EOL 195s, twist rate is 8.4. Wyatt's extended box to load to 3.825. It shoots the 195s very well with N570 at approx 3100 fps, just looking to add versatility with the Hammer bullets. (Also loading the Berger EOL 175s)
I am interested in the Hammer Hunter 177s but the website states that they are for 8 twist or faster.

The 177s are roughly .030 longer than the 195 EOLs and I would be able to load as long as the 195s. Additionally, I could seat them a little deeper than the 195s for more "rough" handling and loading from the mag.

The 169 HH are rated for 8.5 twist but are roughly .1 shorter than the 195s.

I have read that the Hammer bullets are basically insensitive to jump, so the 169 may shoot well. But fairly certain that the 177s will fit in the long throat closer to the lands for optimal accuracy. (Bullets will be measured to fit in the rifle and loaded using safe processes)

My question is does anyone have real world experience shooting the 177s in a slower twist rate barrel, such as the 8.4 vs the recommended 8 twist. If so, what were the results of that? I know that they sell them in samples of 15 units, but looking to conserve on $ and components and rifle.

Thanks in advance.

Hammer TR's are pretty solid. Ignore bullet length comparison. Solid Coppers can't be compared to Cup and Core bullets in length and weight.

Your last question about running a Hammer Bullet with a 1.8 TR against your barrels 1.8.4., I wouldn't risk it. I thought I could get away with a Hammer Bullet 1.8.5 TR out of my 1.9TR barrel. Nope. Key Holed. (Side note. Key holed load development bullets were .75MOA at 100 yards! 🤦🤣).

Don't be afraid to go lighter bullet with proper twist rate.

@Huntnful is who has some data for you. He has quite a bit of experience w/ 28 Nosler and 169 Hammers.

Couldn't find the thread I was looking for, but this one has some info:

I shot the 177's in my 1-8 twist barrel and they came out sideways at sea level. The 169's shot awesome. They may be slightly short OAL but they have a way fatter O-give than a 195 Berger. You probably won't be able to seat them to the same COAL as the 195's before hitting the lands anyways. I'd go with the 169's or 155's. Definitely not the 177's with a 1-8.4

I shoot the 177 HH's in my 1:8 twist 28 Nosler and they shoot great. That said, I know Hammers are very sensitive to twist rate. I'd do like is suggested above and try the 169's or lighter.

Gauged the chamber of the 28 and 169HH last night and all of the info above is absolutely correct. The 169s are plenty long to reach the lands throated for the 195 Berger. With .020 jump, they are fully seated in the case throat with full bearing surface +. I am going to add/subtract length to seat with the case mouth on one of the ribs.
Can't wait to get some loaded and to the range for testing.
Thanks everyone for their information and taking the time to respond.

I have a custom 28 Nosler that is throated for the Berger EOL 195s, twist rate is 8.4. Wyatt's extended box to load to 3.825. It shoots the 195s very well with N570 at approx 3100 fps, just looking to add versatility with the Hammer bullets. (Also loading the Berger EOL 175s)
I am interested in the Hammer Hunter 177s but the website states that they are for 8 twist or faster.

The 177s are roughly .030 longer than the 195 EOLs and I would be able to load as long as the 195s. Additionally, I could seat them a little deeper than the 195s for more "rough" handling and loading from the mag.

The 169 HH are rated for 8.5 twist but are roughly .1 shorter than the 195s.

I have read that the Hammer bullets are basically insensitive to jump, so the 169 may shoot well. But fairly certain that the 177s will fit in the long throat closer to the lands for optimal accuracy. (Bullets will be measured to fit in the rifle and loaded using safe processes)

My question is does anyone have real world experience shooting the 177s in a slower twist rate barrel, such as the 8.4 vs the recommended 8 twist. If so, what were the results of that? I know that they sell them in samples of 15 units, but looking to conserve on $ and components and rifle.

Thanks in advance.
I helped with the initial testing of the 177 ge Hammer bullets many years back. Tested them in my 7mm Allen Magnum at some crazy velocities. Tested them in a 9 twist barrel first and they shot great accuracy wise even out to well past 1000 yards. Easily holding 1/2 moa accuracy potential at those ranges.

that said, we quickly found that bullet stability in flight is a much different beast then bullet stability after impact on big game. Harvested a very nice Canadian whitetail with the prototype bullets at a range of 120 yards, worked perfectly, straight penetration, broke both shoulders and exited, nice round exit hole.

later that same season took a nice Montana whitetail at around 650 yards. Bullet tumbled and veared off course after impact dramatically. Killed the buck but took a severe 60 degree turn after impact. Had similar results later that season on a whitetail doe at a bit over 700 yards.

we concluded that after impact, the retained length of the bullet resulted from a destabilization situation as it penetrated and as such would tumble. With the long length, the projo would often veer off course wildly. Fitted a new 8 twist barrel to my 7mm Allen Magnum test rifle. Top velocities were for the most part identical to the 9 twist. With the slight boost in RPMs and stability, we got nothing but straight penetration on big game with no degrade in accuracy.

in a lesser chambering, with much less velocity, a 7.5 may be the best but we found 8 twist to be great and if i were building one of my 7mm Allen Mags for a customer to use these bullets, it would have a bartlein 8 twist 5r barrel.

the twist recommendations offered by the boys at Hammer are often more focused on terminal performance and stability more then in flight stability.

your 8.5 may work. It will very likely be plenty for fine accuracy, just have to see how straight of penetration you get after impact on big game.