had it with chemical solvents? try an enzyme!

ElwoodB - I think you bid on and won 2 bottles did you get your bottles yet from the gunbroker auction yet? I have not heard anything from seller and its been a week since I made payment wondering how you made out.

Thanks,
Ben

A 3.5 ounce bottle of Coppermelt $30.00

A .30 cal nylon brush labled as .270 cal $3.25

Being able to string together the most creative and elloquent 30 second burst of profanity ever heard by human ears after spilling about half a bottle because the brush and patch gets stuck in the bore. Freakin' priceless.

Don't ask how I like the stuff yet. Things didn't go too well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

...that can be a little too much "excitement" for one day; I did however find the "kleenbore" nylon 270/7mm brush with 1-3/4" was too tight for my 300 RUM... I went to a .25 brush & it worked ok...

Yep mine was a kleanbore. Calipers say .305 on the bristles. I am going to try a smaller brush later today.

And after taking another look at what is left in the bottle versus where it was when I opened it it looks like I only lost about 1/3. Still not pleased about the mishap.

4ked
Get a 3"x3" peice of 2x4 and a 1 3/8 forstner or dato drill bit, poke a hole in the peice of 2x4 and you've got a pretty stable base for your bottle of coppermelt. Been there done that, didn't lose quite that much but it still SUCKS
Chris

You know, when I used to do custom leather work I had a small plastic bowl with a hole bored in the bottom the size of the leather die bottle. Turn it upside down and put the bottle in that. Worked nifty. I dont know why I didn't do something like that (or your idea) for this liquid gold.

It's all about learning right. Thats part of the reason I posted it. Mostly because I wanted to vent my frustration (and breathe some clean air) but so others could learn from it as well.

Okie dokie. I had much better success last night with the coppermelt. I borrowed Gonehuntingagains MTM bore guide and used it for a rem700 short and long action and a ruger m77. I also used his good carbon fiber cleaning rods. What a difference this makes. Sliding the patched nylon brush into a funnel-like opening in the bore guide is WAY WAY easier than trying to start it into the muzzle. <font color="red"> If you dont have these, you NEED to buy these. </font>

The .308 was mostly clean from the fiasco the night before. The .243 Ruger had been cleaned the conventional way so it had no powder on the first patch but the patches came out greenish blue. All twelve of them!!! the thirteenth patch came out white. I guess I had more copper in there than I had expected.

My bros .338 ss rem went just as the others pictured here. One black striped patch from firing 2 rounds since last cleaning then 5 greenish patches fading to white.

I will be buying a bore guide and a top of the line pair of cleaning rods before I purchase any thing in the way of neck and body dies for the 08. And I'm feeling alot better about spending the money on the coppermelt. What Roland said at breakfast was right, it takes a little to figure out how it all works but once you do you won't use anything else. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Welcome to the club 4ked! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif That stuff really will amaze you the first time you try it thinking your gun is somewhat clean to only see all the crud thats still in there!

Hi shadowman,

sorry, read your post just now. No I havent heard anything from the seller either, but then again, it can take ages before snail mail makes it all the way over here...

You heard anything yet?

Regards,

elwood.

I got mine about a 9 days ago, and I am on the west coast. It was sent via USPS mail.

Mark

Well everyone. I just got done cleaning my good ol' J,C. Higgins .22 with coppermelt. I have had this gun since I was 9 or 10 so thats about 27 years. I have cleaned it from time to time with a few passes of Hoppes#9 and a bronze brush and some patches. It has seen thousands of lead rounds and hundreds of copper plated ones years ago when dad was paying for the ammo. First patch came out black with lead chunks on it. At around patch 12 - 14 the grey patches turned blue. It was 15 more patches before the patch came out white. 29 patches in all. But its done. And that has to be the worst one in the safe but I still can't beleive how long it took. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Maybe I'll get Gonehuntingagain to post some pictures of the patches for me.

Next wil be my brothers Marlin target .22. It was dads gun when he was a kid and shot NRA postal matches, 50 years ago. That will be fun. Hopefully dad kept it in better shape then I did with mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks for the tip on preventing spills.

Didn't have that big a drill bit.

Went and built one out of 1X4. Cut three equal sections.
Used a hole saw to make holes in two of the sections and left the base section with no hole. Glued them all together. Not a work of art but it works.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts