H1000, retumbo, N570, rl 26, magnum powders

I'll keep checking. If I run across some of these pikie dust powders I'll let this page knows. I'm not in a bind now but will be down the road. Never though I would look hard for h1000 or retumbo. Jezz

Are you guys experiencing any premium pricing (Price gouging) when you find it on the shelf? My local guy has RL 23, & RL 33, Retumbo and H-1000 but he's charging $33-$36 a pound.....

I saw this on a Facebook page don't know if it's true or not
Hodgdon Powder Supply Update:
We just returned from the Big Rock Shooting Sports show held last week in Nashville, where we had a chance to sit down with the folks from Hodgdon (Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester powders.)
During 2019 the industry experienced shortages of some of Hodgdon's most popular powders, including Retumbo and H1000, and by the end of the year, Varget. These powders, as well as H4350, are shipped in barrels from Australia.

We asked Hodgdon why these shortages occurred, and what we should expect in 2020 ??

Going back to 2017 and early 2018 Hodgdon, and the whole industry were experiencing unusually poor demand. They made substantial government sales in 2017-2018 to soak up what they believed was excess supply at that time.

By late 2018 and 2019 demand was picking up again, especially for big case magnum powders. Unfortunately during this same period Hodgdon began experiencing supply problems from Australia. These problems are logistical and not related to production. Australia and steamship lines have new regulations concerning how much powder can be shipped on one vessel, how much powder can be in a container terminal at one time, and the hazard classification of the powder itself. Shipments were delayed and a few were even returned to the producer during 2019 due to these issues.

Hodgdon believes they are now ahead of the problems and will have more success shipping the Australian powders in 2020. Some is on the way now, which should make it into distribution by April. Varget, H1000 and H4350 should be back in distribution by April, Retumbo should be available sometime April to June.
Thanks for your interest!
January 12, 2020
Three Forks Ammo & Reloading

I saw this on a Facebook page don't know if it's true or not
Hodgdon Powder Supply Update:
We just returned from the Big Rock Shooting Sports show held last week in Nashville, where we had a chance to sit down with the folks from Hodgdon (Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester powders.)
During 2019 the industry experienced shortages of some of Hodgdon's most popular powders, including Retumbo and H1000, and by the end of the year, Varget. These powders, as well as H4350, are shipped in barrels from Australia.

We asked Hodgdon why these shortages occurred, and what we should expect in 2020 ??

Going back to 2017 and early 2018 Hodgdon, and the whole industry were experiencing unusually poor demand. They made substantial government sales in 2017-2018 to soak up what they believed was excess supply at that time.

By late 2018 and 2019 demand was picking up again, especially for big case magnum powders. Unfortunately during this same period Hodgdon began experiencing supply problems from Australia. These problems are logistical and not related to production. Australia and steamship lines have new regulations concerning how much powder can be shipped on one vessel, how much powder can be in a container terminal at one time, and the hazard classification of the powder itself. Shipments were delayed and a few were even returned to the producer during 2019 due to these issues.

Hodgdon believes they are now ahead of the problems and will have more success shipping the Australian powders in 2020. Some is on the way now, which should make it into distribution by April. Varget, H1000 and H4350 should be back in distribution by April, Retumbo should be available sometime April to June.
Thanks for your interest!
January 12, 2020
Three Forks Ammo & Reloading
That goes in line with what I was told by powder valley was that it was going to be spring before they had a possible shipment. Thanks for the update.

Are you guys experiencing any premium pricing (Price gouging) when you find it on the shelf? My local guy has RL 23, & RL 33, Retumbo and H-1000 but he's charging $33-$36 a pound.....
Got to find it first. but if I was a seller I might try to make an extra dollar. Most people I know that runs small shops ad around 5 $ a pound to cover their haz mad fee. Guess u could say supply and demand.

...Australia and steamship lines have new regulations concerning how much powder can be shipped on one vessel, how much powder can be in a container terminal at one time, and the hazard classification of the powder itself. Shipments were delayed and a few were even returned to the producer during 2019 due to these issues...
This is pretty much correct. I am told that the insurance for shipping hazardous goods like explosives has changed and that caused a change in how the goods were shipped to reduce the insurance premiums.

The Mulwala plant which makes Varget, H4350, H1000 and Retumbo (amongst others) is still working fine and has not been affected by the wildfire situation in Australia.

FWIW the explosives plant is right here...
https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d-35.9892639!4d145.9937593

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.