New reloader powders RL-23 and RL-26

I see more smoke with this powder than RE22 or IMR 4831. I will continue to check velocity as it is getting cooler out. How much velocity will It give up when it is 30 outside?

:)I have checked the velocity on 4 of my 190 with the RE 26. I checked 2 last week 75 outside 3152, 3152. Today I checked two more 60 degrees out 3130, 3120. The 3120 was a different lot of VLDs and it was .20 off the lands. Think I am sold.

4 shots and 15 degrees is not a very good sample. From this it appears that it is affected around 1 fps per 1 degree in temperature change which is not good.

Can someone run QL for RL23 and RL26 for a 6.5-284 Norma with Berger 140 VLD and 26" barrel?
I am interested in trying the powders and they should work for the cartridge but no load data exists that I can find.

Not your exact cartridge (but similar enough) but I'm running 63 grains of R26 in my 6.5 WSM. I was able to get to 67 with little pressure signs. That's with a 26" barrel. I was told by Alliant that both those powders would be too slow in this cartridge (based on the 270 WSM data) but that wasn't the case. R26 was perfect. I do believe R33 might be too slow for them, though.

I've been working with RL23 in my 300WM since last January using mostly Berger 185 and 190 gr moly coated bullets. I like RL23 because I've been able to get fairly good accuracy (1/2MOA) and better velocity 3000+ than with H1000 before showing pressure signs using Norma brass.

Qualitatively, I have pretty much convinced myself that RL23 is temperature sensitive. This summer while doing load development, I saw my 190 VLDs show 25 fps more velocity at 11AM with 0.5 gr less powder than the 185 VLDs had in the morning at 06:30AM with about 25 deg temperature difference. (All other factors being the same but temp and bullet selection that range session)

I have been shooting all my load development over a Magnetospeed but have never gone back and tried to quantify statistically the variance with temperature- mostly because I have gone through a lot of load variables over the last year. Last month I picked up 8lbs of RL26 online at PV for a good price and hope to get some range time in this winter with it if I can work it in around completing a new house build. If I ever come up with what I believe is hard data on temperature affect with RL23/26 in my rifle, I will post here.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts