H1000 vs RL 26

HANGum HIGH

Hey all, I was just working on a few new loads for my 7 saum and found 2 with basically identical results (.5 MOA). Both using the 175 grain accubond LR. One using 63 grains of H1000 and the other 62 grains of RL26. I didn't chrono them because I wasn't worried about that until I found my load. But I'm assuming I could be 50-75 fps faster with the RL26. Is there any plus or minus to either powder? It's my main hunting rifle. Thanks for any info you may have.

So what would be considered hot Temps? I do live in AZ and it can get warm at times. Though I think must of my hunting would be no higher then 60s. But just curious what temps you see change in RL26. Thx

So what would be considered hot Temps? I do live in AZ and it can get warm at times. Though I think must of my hunting would be no higher then 60s. But just curious what temps you see change in RL26. Thx

Work up a load at the hottest Temps your going to be shooting at. So thatbmeana you will need to wait until summer if you shoot during the summer months in AZ.

You can also use QL to predict temp instability once you true up QL

I had a load that was awesome until it hit above 85° then no go! Test everything

I've loaded up a lot of RE26 in different cartridges. What I like most about it is the accuracy I've achieved, although it also outpaces most other powders with top loads. Even though I rarely shoot in temperatures over 80deg I'm not fond of the powder's known sensitivity to high temperatures.

If I had H1000 I'd be using it instead of RE26. I have been experimenting with RE23 which is reportedly rather insensitive to temperature changes and mitigates copper fouling at the same time. I can generally find loads that are just as accurate with only a slight drop in velocity.

If I lived in AZ I'd spend my time and money looking at alternatives to RE26. Just my 2 cents.

Did a little research in QL by running up RL26 until I was just below SAAMI max of 65,000. QL reached 64,763 psi at 63.3 grains at 60 degrees. Bump temperature up to 100 and this load is estimated at 71,239 psi. H1000 does only slightly better (64,640 @ 60 and 69,837 at 100).
That's very interesting...

Did a little research in QL by running up RL26 until I was just below SAAMI max of 65,000. QL reached 64,763 psi at 63.3 grains at 60 degrees. Bump temperature up to 100 and this load is estimated at 71,239 psi. H1000 does only slightly better (64,640 @ 60 and 69,837 at 100).
What is most concerning is the reports of unanticipated SPIKES near the 90deg point. Gradual increases in pressure that coincide with gradual increases in temperature would be tolerable. Unpredictable spikes can be a serious problem.

What is most concerning is the reports of unanticipated SPIKES near the 90deg point. Gradual increases in pressure that coincide with gradual increases in temperature would be tolerable. Unpredictable spikes can be a serious problem.
You got that right! I am in Colorado and come hunting seasons it can be 50 degrees or minus 20! Summers can get in the 80's or better and even higher, particularly with ammo on the bench and in full Sun. I keep all my ammo in a cooler on ice! Mimics hunting temps and keeps me shooting on the hot days and don't have the worry of getting too much pressure because of temp variances. Just my FWIW.