H US 869 In a 6.5 PRC

motrapper

Hodgdon list it for use with Hornady 143 147 and runs the same muzzle velocity as H1000 and Retumbo but at 2k less psi
Just wondering why I do not see more about it.
Is it just not very accurate, dirty, erratic, unstabil?

I'm sure others can chime in for more detailed info, but my fairly vigorous research into using this powder churned up a good deal of results pointing toward a dramatic degree of temperature sensitivity. Guys like the powder, but had to work up loads for multiple seasons due to the temperature related swings causing significant changes in velocity & poi.

Many reloaders I have read on this subject avoid this powder for these reasons.

It always seems to be the last powder available in my area. I can walk into my LGS and buy several pounds of it today. I'm pretty much of the mind that its temp sensitivity reputation keeps it on shelves longer than other, more stable powders.

Hodgdon list it for use with Hornady 143 147 and runs the same muzzle velocity as H1000 and Retumbo but at 2k less psi
Just wondering why I do not see more about it.
Is it just not very accurate, dirty, erratic, unstabil?
A year later… did you ever come up with a load that you liked with 869 and the 6.5 prc?

67.6 grains of powder? ive never heard of a prc running that much powder. Ive never ran 869 tho. Just checking on that charge weight?

67.6 grains of powder? ive never heard of a prc running that much powder. Ive never ran 869 tho. Just checking on that charge weight?
869 is a spherical powder. It's very slow but it loads to heavier, high density loads.

Very similar to Superperformance powder, in that SP is a more modern derivative of the same concept. Slow ball powder that's dense and heavy for the cases it works well in.

Last edited: