Gunsmith woes.

If you can't, won't or do not think it is a great idea to re-profile the barrel: fine. When I say turn it down and I will be back in three weeks any honest person in the world should say "wait a minute, That is a bad idea". We need a new plan...... If you say "OK" and three weeks later say "to bad I don't do the work you wanted but now you owe me for this other work"..................BULL Sh!@#..... I like the savage platform primarily because of that nut : I have to deal with a barrel maker and/or machinist either way but not necessarily with a horses *** gunsmith. Clearly not all gunsmiths are that way but I have met some real arrogant twits in this industry. Even made the mistake of paying ridiculous money and long waits for a **** poor job that I=(average joe) had to redo myself do to quality........ OK............ Got a pass for the smiths on the right side? Check...... Made my point about arrogance, lack of communication and general fraud? Check..... Proudly professed my love of the barrel nut head space system? Check. OK.....rant over.

Well, to be honest I wouldnt have known the true accuracy of the barrel in the first place since its never been shot so I wouldnt have had anything to compare it to. Secondly, I figured for the small amount of material that I wanted taken off the OD of the barrel, that it would not create an issue or degrade the barrel's accuracy. Apparently not even a few thousandths is safe according to him. He mic'd the barrel and said its perfect as it stands now and if he turned it down he could gaurantee it would not mic the same again after that. I now understand that better after talking with a few other people who make a living in that line of work. I also didnt have the option of cherry picking other Kreiger barrel countours at the time I bought it either. This was the last one available from midway and I snagged it for better or worse as I wanted to switch from a 22-250 to a 6BR. This was a no brainer IMO & saved me a 6-8 month wait. I was able to get a little more information during the day yesterday on him as I called a few of the old timers that shoot with us. They all told me a little more about his MO and their past experiences with his work. They were all on board with him and have had nothing but superb results with his work. I finally had a lengthy discussion with him yesterday afternoon directly and we hashed things out after about 10 mins so he'll continue as he planned on my rifle. Told him he did a much better job at explaining his reasons this time than the first go around thats for sure. Guess this field/varmint gun is just gonna be a little heavier than I initially planned (sigh) at least it will be as accurate as possible & thats a trade off I'm willing to accept at this point.

I am glad you got everything worked out to your satisfaction with your Gunsmith.

The communication between Smith and Customer is often the problem with a Custom build and
can be avoided with lots of time spent discussing the build.

Never seal the deal until everyone is on the same page and you know what you will get.

Maybe your Smith was having a bad day when you first talked to him (Some have lots of them)
or was in a hurry and didn't have time to explain everything in detail (But should have).

Each smith has there own likes and dislikes based on experiences they have had and tend to
feel comfortable doing things there way and if you ask them to go out of there comfort zone
they will probably try to talk you out of what you want.

As I stated earlier I do what the customer wants or turn the job down (Simple) if I feel the
end results will damage my reputation or produce a poor product.

I know it's hard for a new shooter to know whats best sometimes and he relies on the smith to
steer him in the right direction. It is his obligation to explain the ups and downs of a build
and help the customer make the decision.

Good luck and happy hunting.

J E CUSTOM

If you can't, won't or do not think it is a great idea to re-profile the barrel: fine. When I say turn it down and I will be back in three weeks any honest person in the world should say "wait a minute, That is a bad idea". We need a new plan...... If you say "OK" and three weeks later say "to bad I don't do the work you wanted but now you owe me for this other work"..................BULL Sh!@#..... I like the savage platform primarily because of that nut : I have to deal with a barrel maker and/or machinist either way but not necessarily with a horses *** gunsmith. Clearly not all gunsmiths are that way but I have met some real arrogant twits in this industry. Even made the mistake of paying ridiculous money and long waits for a **** poor job that I=(average joe) had to redo myself do to quality........ OK............ Got a pass for the smiths on the right side? Check...... Made my point about arrogance, lack of communication and general fraud? Check..... Proudly professed my love of the barrel nut head space system? Check. OK.....rant over.

I hope you are better now, now go out shoot your rig, it'll make you feel even better. :D

Well gotta admit it does look better without the darn barrel nut. Its a honker of a gun now with this 1.25 no taper kreiger tube @ 28"..bead blasted, .269 neck and a gorgeous recessed target crown. Full action job as well. Should be a shooter.

Attachments

• 0905121255.JPG
    0905121255.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 0905121241.JPG
    0905121241.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 0905121240.JPG
    0905121240.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
i want to see some groups.

Me too man...my buddy just finished the bedding job on it and is ready for pickup today. However, its looking like the maiden voyage to the range this weekend will be full of rain and wind..dammit!!

a rifle should be able to be shot in rain shine or snow.. got out there :D

Well here's the last berger 105 I threw downrange @ 200 yds yesterday...as you can see I ruined this grasshoppers day. VegasSteve was there to watch/verify the shot as well. I learned a few things yesterday about the new gun. It likes to be shot snug to the shoulder & It really likes 30 gns of varget pushing a 105 hybrid. Once I started getting used to the gun and testing the various loads out I had made, I was able to pretty easily get mid 2s to mid 3s @100 yds. Shooting prone @ 200 my first 3 groups were a little over an inch but then I settled in and was able to get them under and inch with the best being a 4 shot group no more than a half inch.

The final verdict: Gun shoots great and does what I tell it to do. No crazy "*** flyers" & it should only get better with more trigger time. :cool:

Attachments

• bug.JPG
    bug.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
nice mate. seems like you are happy and the results are good. glad it all worked out well. its **** when you get something and are not excited to use it.

Just as a reference this gun started out as a mod 12 fcv in 22-250.

and now we have a finished product:

Kreiger 8 twist, 1.25 OD no taper, bead blasted, recessed target crown, .269 neck, .104 freebore, reinforced CM 4140 recoil lug, "nutless" trued savage short action, fully bedded, lapped lugs,lapped lug channels, trued bolt face, HS precision M24 varmint/tact stock, rifle basix sav-2 trigger @ 11 oz., SSS fred sled, SSS tactical bolt, Burris tactical xtra tall rings, Zeiss conquest 6.5-20 mil dot and a harris BR bipod up front. Tips the scales at 17lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_1634[1].jpg
    IMG_1634[1].jpg
    130 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1631[1].jpg
    IMG_1631[1].jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1636[1].jpg
    IMG_1636[1].jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1637[1].jpg
    IMG_1637[1].jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1625[1].jpg
    IMG_1625[1].jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Here's what I was able to get on my last 4 targets at 100. 3 shot barrel break in groups..not too bad for 105 hybrids that close..:D

Attachments

• IMG_1638[1].jpg
    IMG_1638[1].jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1639[1].jpg
    IMG_1639[1].jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
30 test loads @ 200 yds here from yesterday...the gun shot best with 30.2 of varget with the berger 105s(bottom). those are .900 circles and the bottom group measured .430 for 10 shots.

Attachments

• 6BR10shtgrps.jpg
    6BR10shtgrps.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Yeah Ive seen and read alot about good looking groups at 100 yds that turn out to be turds at 200 so I wanted to get a sizeable result with 10 rounds at 200. She's starting to hum now.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.