Lefty woes

marketello

Thanks for the site, this page has a real good learning curve for those new to LR.

I think I have settled on a Rem 700, probablly a varmit in .308 LH. I have been to the gun shops in my area and have been dismayed at the total lack of leftys on the shelf.
How long ago to Remington start making LH models? Are my chances next to nill finding a good used LH rifle?

Another question related, Being a saltwater fisherman it dawned on me that unlike firearms there are very few shops that sell used fishing gear.

That being said, what is proper when buying a used, or new rifle from a shop. Is the price the firearm marked at, the final price? Is it proper to try to talk a shop down on a used, or new rifle, or is this just not done? Pay the price on the tag, or just move on?

I've never seen a used short action LH Remington for sale in my area. Occasionally long action hunting rifles though but not with the heavy barrel of the VS. Most shops in my area only stock one or two left hand rifles and some not any.

I bought my 700 VS about 1.5 yrs. ago for $625 from a local dealer who ordered it in. I shopped around and this was the best I could do. You might want to check out a couple of the online sites such as Gunbrocker or Ebay for a better deal. You will have to have the gun shipped to an FFL in your area for final transfer. Some charge a nominal fee of 15-$25 to cover the transaction fee. As for price on a new or used gun you can always try to talk them down---the worst they can do is say no.

Remington started producing LH mdl 700 guns in the late 1960s I believe. This was a long action BDL. They followed with some LH 788 models, 870 and 1100 shotguns, and a LH pump rifle for a short time. The short action 700s haven't been out that many years. Remington and Savage have been the best in offering a variety of firearms to lefty's. Not as good as what the right-handers get but not bad.

Pat S.

I feel your pain, bro.

I like Pat S. have liked the Rem. VSLH, and I bought mine off of gunbroker.com for $600.00 NIB.

This rifle is sub moa out of the box w/ a trigger adjustment, of course.
rolleyes.gif

Get it in .308 and enjoy!!!..sakofan..

Greenhorn
I too am a lefty when it comes to rifles. I found a LH Weatherby (they discontinued them this year
frown.gif
) last year and I like it for a walk around gun.

You may find that most long range shooting is done either from a bench or from the prone position. Either way it is actually easier to shoot a RH rifle leht handed because the loading is on the side you can see. Also you can keep the stock against your shoulder while reloading, just be sure to check your nose for bolt clearance first! Some RH shooters that have custom guns made get a LH bolt / LH port for this reason. When I someday get a custom made I want a RH action with a LH stock.

Just something you may want to think about before getting too discouraged with your selection of LH guns. By the way, I can only remember finding two LH used guns in the local shop and I bought one of them.

I ma lefty

the ebst left hand rifle I have nver find is the Savage 110 ,low cost , strong and no need to search one ised you can purcahse it new

I have nver see any used REM LH , I own only two REM LH
1 short with 40 X repeater macmillan stock ,
1 long but that a BDM action

good shooting

DAN TEC

Greenhorn,
I am left handed also. There is a limited amount of LH guns available out there. I agree with RBrowning, I feel that a right handed rifle is better for the LH shotter from the bench or prone. The reason Remington offers the 308 LH VS was initialy at the request of RH law enforcement riflemen. Give the RH gun some thought. The added bonus is of course that you might actually get a good deal on a used one.

I read somewhere for safety reasons you should have the reciever opening away from your face. The same articals that urge shooting glasses in the case some kind of detonation.

Reguarding the Varmit guns for LR, are these guns too heavy to hunt with? I see the remington weighs 9lbs, I imagine a couple pounds of scope & rings, and four rounds, the rifle might be around 12 lbs, is this too much for a long walk?

The BDL's made in the 60's, would you rate the quality of those actions better than the new Remingtons?

Greenhorn,
I have seen several detonated rifles of these what side the port was on would not have saved the shooter from damage. I drill 2, 3/16" holes in the bottom of the bolt body when it is in the closed position to vent gases in the event of a pierced primer or ruptured case. This allows the small fragments and gases to escape downward instead of back through the bolt body and shroud into the shooters face. I feel like that is more of a concern that what side of the gun the ejection port / face is on. The newer Remington 700's are made of better slightly materials I understand, but the quality of machine work is not as it once was. Also the older versions lock the bolt into place with the safety on, the newer ones don't. The benefit of the newer ones is that you can unload the rifle with the safety still on. The down side is brush etc can catch and unlock the bolt and put you into a situation where your rifle won't fire unless you seat the bolt back down. Most of the AD's I have heard of were caused when the safety was flipped off and the gun fired due to improper trigger setup by the owner. So of course Remington felt like they needed that crappy full safety floating bolt setup they currently have. That being said I would still use any of the 700 actions for a custom project. Before you buy, sitdown and figure out what weight you are willing to accept for a hunting rifle. My rifles tend to run on the heavy side, because ultimately I want a shooter and am willing to hump the extra weight around for the performance. The big question is how much weight and how much performance.

I wouldn't want to hunt all day with my VS, it's too heavy and cumbersome for what I like. For stand hunting it would be OK. For hunting a LH BDL, LH LSS(If you like UltraMags), LH KS 700 in Blue or SS(if you've got the money) or a Savage rifle may be the answer. From what I've seen the BDLs shoot very well also. I had a LH 700 built a number of years ago by a local gunsmith, Ron King. It is a .280 Remington with a Shilen barrel, Brown Precision Kevlar stock, and a compact Leupold scope. It shoots well and tops the scale at about 7.5 # as eqipped above. It shoots well and is a joy to carry in the woods.

http://www.remington.com/firearms/left_hand/lefthand.htm

You might also want to check out this new gun that will be coming out next year for leftys if you like the heacy barreled gun. http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700vsf.htm
Pat S.

[ 11-02-2004: Message edited by: Pat S. ]

[ 11-02-2004: Message edited by: Pat S. ]

Greenhorn,
If you are interested in a used LH Remington try looking looking at a bigger store too. Today I went to Cabela's in Dundee and found two 700, bull barrels, wide fore end (sorry, I don't remember the models). One in 22-250 and one in 308. They were each $630. In my local gun shop they are as scarce as hen's teeth, but in a bigger store, closer to the metro area, I was pleasantly surprised to see two.

I went down to a gun shop today, I wanted to hold a Rem700VLH to see just how heavy it feels.

Well the guy behind the counter didn't have one, but he gave me another rifle of the same weight. He then gave me a REM700 CDL to hold for comparison. Boy, big difference. The more o looked over the CDL, the more I started to fall for that rifle in a .270

How much, and how long to get a left handed CDL in I asked. SORRY, SIR, THE CDL DOES NOT COME IN A LEFT HANDED MODLE. SOB!!!

Do many of you actually hunt a .308 varmit when the walk is a long one?

Greenhorn.

I'm comtemplating taking my Rem VSLH .308 w/ a USO SN-3 out to the woods next week.
confused.gif

I'm wanting to use a bipod and set up in a ground blind. I know it sounds crazy!! LOL..sakofan..
wink.gif

Don't know if you found a rifle yet. I'm also a lefty and have the Rem 700 VS in .308 lefty. It works well. I have a heavy scope and heavy mounts, bipod and heavy strap and I still hump it around deer hunting. Here in Nebraska we usually hike in somewhere and then I set up on the ground with some shooting sticks if the grass is high, or on the ground with my bipod if the grass is low. I prefer the bipod. I love that gun though. Mine's about .75 MOA out of the box, (with trigger job of course).

Getting back to the lefty thing. I also have a Sendero in 300WM. It's an RH gun. As a couple of guys stated earlier, the RH model would be my preference for shooting prone or from a bench. I'm fine with an RH or LH gun. We lefties are pretty adaptable. One way to "pimp your gun" is to have a Badger bolt knob installed. I love those things for working the action quickly.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.