Gun works rifles

I agree with Lance they make a very nice full system, however some shooters think that system will instantly turn them into a longrange hunter. I have one friend that bought a full system Gunwerks 28 Nosler and struggled to hit anything at distance. He had some really bad form and trigger control was awful. In fact this fellow has always been a poor shot with most of the weapons he owns. I know another fellow that attended MOA rifles shooting course and purchased a full system in 28 Nosler. He took that rifle unfired to Colorado and missed a buck 3 times. Practice and cold bore mapping must be done before hunting at longrange!! With that said I absolutely love the Gunwerks stocks and have always wanted one. Cheers, Jason

I think they are overpriced but as said it's worth it to some. If you don't reload I could see the value in someone finding the sweet spot for you.

But these days with CNC machined reciever and prefit barrels you don't even need a gunsmith to get setup in a sweet custom ride. In 15 minutes I put together a 6.5 PRC with an Impact NBK, 24" Proof Carbon, Manners EH1 (used from LRH member), TT Special and Gen 3 Little Bastard for just north of $3,600. First shot at 100 yds to find bore sighting next 4 hit near bull and .310" with new brass and a basic starting load of 54 gr H1000 and 153 A-Tip to mag length and has only gotten better since.

This string is starting to convince me to get another rig for all the money I saved...

Gunwerks rifles are notoriously overpriced, many of their rifle and scope combinations reaching around 10,000.00$ It doesn't take to much research to find that you can build a full blown custom through the best shops for significantly less. I have been around and shot several of the rifles. They cater to rich clients that want a 1000 yard out of the box system. I don't find them to be any better built or more accurate than any of my custom rifles. To me your money is better spent elsewhere getting a rifle that is built to your exacting specs instead of a one size fits all mentality.

There is a lot of attraction to that, right? Top performance at minimal effort and time.

Yes, but will that gunsmith teach you to shoot, build your load, pour your drink, tuck you in, walk you to a 400 yd trophy, tell you how to set up, whisper dope in your ear and tell you that you it was a great shot on a great trophy, even when you shoot a 13" antelope in the butt?

Yep.

We have to put ourselves in different shoes. Most of us are tinker'rs. We like to reload, gunsmith, tweak things, etc.

Put these shoes on….you are a Chicago lawyer who has never owned a gun, but once you saw uncle Henry shoot a rabbit with a 22LR and you were amazed by that.

You never have 3 days off, but you would like to do research for a while (like 2 hrs) and buy a hunting kit and go hunt antelope. In a 10-15 min phone call, I'll bet you can arrange gun, ammo, lesson and an antelope hunt. Then tell your secretary to arrange your plane for the date and buy you a hunting outfit online…maybe Filson or something English…or he'll maybe First Lite, if you have a decent secretary. You will go to the office, read emails til 7, limo to private plane, fly in around 9A, grab breakfast on flight, pick up your rented large SUV and drive to gunwerks. They handle everything else. Cigars are smoked, whiskey drank, antelope killed, processed and donated….because who would eat that crap. Rifle shipped to dealer in Chicago where you let it sit for 3 months because they won't let your staff pick it up or drive it to you. You go pick it up or ask them to sell it for whatever they can get.

Not sure, but I think this happens. Sometimes you keep the rifle as like a trophy.

Edit: My disgusting story aside, I think Gunwerks builds a good rifle and I cannot judge value vs price for another person.
You forgot to mention when the animal runs off wounded because joe the attorney gets the shakes from buck fever and his 20,000$ shooting system/ long range class- hunt did little to help. In my opinion all a setup like this does is give false confidence to people who haven't spent years building a skill set. Money doesn't replace experience and trigger time.

I too enjoy watching their TV shows. I consider myself a pretty good judge of people and the Davidson family seems to be a class act. However, I have always been a DIY guy and always will be even though I have been successful enough to buy one of their rifles if I wanted to. Instead of buying a gun to shoot 1000 yards, I tweaked my off the shelf deer rifle I have been hunting with for the last 18 years and learned how to shoot it in 100 yard increments and walk it out to 1000 yards with no help from anyone but youtube videos. Just takes time and effort. I felt a great sense of accomplishment when I drove up to the 1000 yard target and saw my hole in the paper.

I just went out to dial in a new scope for a buddy's gunwerks 300 PRC. I would say it is rather unimpressive honestly. 22" barrel. Muzzle brake is about useless and it kicks like a MF. All that just to push a 215 Berger at 2680fps and shoot 1 MOA. That's gunwerks rifle and gunwerks ammo. The stock is very nice though. I'm sure they just built him the rifle how he wanted, so the excessive recoil from a light rifle isn't necessarily their fault. But their muzzle brake is trash. But I would take a $4500 full custom build over this gun every day of the week. The TI action is also super sticky and catchy. I mean it's a nice gun, but I wouldn't pay $4000 for it, let alone whatever they actually charge. Also they don't do load development. They just have loaded ammo that has worked in previous chambers. It's just "high end" factory ammo basically. They do get the velocities and cut a turret though. But their velocities were 70fps faster than what I got, and his hits were 8" low at 700 yards (with the old scope and data) when he first got the gun. I put the new scope on and am getting a lot of velocity and drop data for him now. It will be a good gun, but not great by any means.

23021B09-5378-4DDB-9D2E-A26C48A5D2B6.jpeg

C427EF63-82D1-4298-86CD-BE9E05E8CB8C.jpeg

F309BF58-8B90-46D3-A714-28A6239902CB.jpeg

Well I am definitely not rich, at least money wise, far from it. I love my Gunwerks rifle just the same. My first one was a gift to myself for quite a few years of hard *** work with little time off for anything else. I didn't buy it because it made anything easy, I bought it because I thought it was a nice looking setup and a great concept. My second one I traded and sold other stuff to get the money for because I liked the first one so much. turns out it was a good decision because I have taken a lot of animals with those rifles and was **** happy doing it. Just because a guy works hard and spend his money the way he see fit doesn't mean he doesn't have a particular skill set built up either. You know what they say about opinions........

They dont hand load each gun. Simply cnc barrel and action over and over and have a recipe for that caliber. Now that being said thats why they say 1000 yards out of box which isnt far shot in today's world. Theyre gun falls apart beyond that. Not there scope or gun or rangefinder but there system does. Hand load it and its solid. But overpriced. But perfect for rich dude wanting the name and cant shoot 300 yards let alone 1000.

There is a lot of attraction to that, right? Top performance at minimal effort and time.

Yes, but will that gunsmith teach you to shoot, build your load, pour your drink, tuck you in, walk you to a 400 yd trophy, tell you how to set up, whisper dope in your ear and tell you that you it was a great shot on a great trophy, even when you shoot a 13" antelope in the butt?

Yep.

We have to put ourselves in different shoes. Most of us are tinker'rs. We like to reload, gunsmith, tweak things, etc.

Put these shoes on….you are a Chicago lawyer who has never owned a gun, but once you saw uncle Henry shoot a rabbit with a 22LR and you were amazed by that.

You never have 3 days off, but you would like to do research for a while (like 2 hrs) and buy a hunting kit and go hunt antelope. In a 10-15 min phone call, I'll bet you can arrange gun, ammo, lesson and an antelope hunt. Then tell your secretary to arrange your plane for the date and buy you a hunting outfit online…maybe Filson or something English…or he'll maybe First Lite, if you have a decent secretary. You will go to the office, read emails til 7, limo to private plane, fly in around 9A, grab breakfast on flight, pick up your rented large SUV and drive to gunwerks. They handle everything else. Cigars are smoked, whiskey drank, antelope killed, processed and donated….because who would eat that crap. Rifle shipped to dealer in Chicago where you let it sit for 3 months because they won't let your staff pick it up or drive it to you. You go pick it up or ask them to sell it for whatever they can get.

Not sure, but I think this happens. Sometimes you keep the rifle as like a trophy.

Edit: My disgusting story aside, I think Gunwerks builds a good rifle and I cannot judge value vs price for another person.
Love the "disgusting" story! You forgot to buy a plane ticket for the secretary and have her book the room for two. arrf-arrf-arrf!!

I just went out to dial in a new scope for a buddy's gunwerks 300 PRC. I would say it is rather unimpressive honestly. 22" barrel. Muzzle brake is about useless and it kicks like a MF. All that just to push a 215 Berger at 2680fps and shoot 1 MOA. That's gunwerks rifle and gunwerks ammo. The stock is very nice though. I'm sure they just built him the rifle how he wanted, so the excessive recoil from a light rifle isn't necessarily their fault. But their muzzle brake is trash. But I would take a $4500 full custom build over this gun every day of the week. The TI action is also super sticky and catchy. I mean it's a nice gun, but I wouldn't pay $4000 for it, let alone whatever they actually charge. Also they don't do load development. They just have loaded ammo that has worked in previous chambers. It's just "high end" factory ammo basically. They do get the velocities and cut a turret though. But their velocities were 70fps faster than what I got, and his hits were 8" low at 700 yards (with the old scope and data) when he first got the gun. I put the new scope on and am getting a lot of velocity and drop data for him now. It will be a good gun, but not great by any means.

View attachment 445694
View attachment 445695
View attachment 445696
I would call Gunwerks, they guarantee them with their ammo. If it honestly won't shoot sub moa they should take care of it for him. He may have to send it back to them but the customer service I have had from them has been great.

They're not really that expensive when you compare to other high end builds...my current build on a Terminus Zeus in 300 PRC with an S&B optic came out to $10,200....and I still have work up a load and true ballistics.
I don't think they are crazy crazy expensive in general. I think they are expensive for what they are…. Very basic rifles with basic performance and basic loads. Their workman line seems well priced though.

I would call Gunwerks, they guarantee them with their ammo. If it honestly won't shoot sub moa they should take care of it for him. He may have to send it back to them but the customer service I have had from them has been great.
I have another box of ammo I'm going to run through it, double check zero and drops at 500 and 800. I'll know more about it's capabilities then. And I'm leaving the barrel dirty. The fact is, it's a light, short barreled, magnum cartridge, shooting a heavy bullet, with a crap muzzle brake and it kicks like a mule. That's a recipe for a non consistently accurate rifle. Whether it's me or the gun at that point. I don't think many people are
laying down and putting 10 shots into .7" group with that platform.