Gun brass cleaner upgrade

To clarify, the stainless pins were not in the flash hole, but wedged in across the primer pocket and the case mount, 90 degrees to the case. These were the Frankfort Arsenal pins that came with my tumbler. Some were short enough to wedge across both small and large primer pockets, and in particular, they liked to wedge across the end of the case mouth on .300BLK brass. I'll bet I've had it happen about one or two in every 100 rounds of brass until I quit using it. They would get wedged in so tight I'd have to use a pair of needlenose pliers to get them out. It's almost like the magical ability of a lone 9mm case to end up inside a .40S&W case.

To clarify, the stainless pins were not in the flash hole, but wedged in across the primer pocket and the case mount, 90 degrees to the case. These were the Frankfort Arsenal pins that came with my tumbler. Some were short enough to wedge across both small and large primer pockets, and in particular, they liked to wedge across the end of the case mouth on .300BLK brass. I'll bet I've had it happen about one or two in every 100 rounds of brass until I quit using it. They would get wedged in so tight I'd have to use a pair of needlenose pliers to get them out. It's almost like the magical ability of a lone 9mm case to end up inside a .40S&W case.
its happen to me on a few occasions. stuck in mouth several time mostly on 7mm brass but not enough to worry about it

Last edited:

I've never had that happen. Again, I have to assume the pins you were using were a different size. Use the pins I referenced earlier and this will never be a concern again.

I think the issue with the FA pins is that they're different lengths, ranging from .11"-.12" to well over 1/2". If the pins were all long enough, as my be the case with the STM pins, then they would never stick. I'm 100% satisfied with the performance of the Southern Shine media over the pins, so I'll stick with that. Thanks for the recommendation though!

I've been using the lyman tumbler, works awesome. then to dry I put them on a dehydrator for an hour or so. I usually do under 100 pieces at a time though.

that has only happened one time to me no big deal

Looking for some insight and recommendations on a new brass cleaner setup. My current setup for the past 20 years has been a tumbler with corn or walnut fill. I'm looking for a setup that will clean rifle brass espically the inside of the case. Whether it be a sonic cleaner or one like the frankford steel media cleaner using pins. I would like to take in consideration of ease of use and cost of operation and general something that will last.
I've read a lot of reviews but I want a general thought from everyday reloaders on what they like and don't like on certain cleaners. At the end of the day a cleaner that cleans the brass inside, primer pockets, and doesn't damage the brass is a must.
thanks fellas and looking for some feedback.
I've got an Ultrasonic cleaner and I use the Hornady case cleaner. If you decap first, it cleans even the primer pocket. Brass does not always come out shiny but if I want I use a old Lyman vibrator and Dillion case cleaner with crushed Walnut shells (bought a 50 lb bag from a sand blasting company)

this combination makes it look like the brass just came from the factory

Ok after a lot of feedback I went ahead with the frankford tumbler with steel pins. So far very happy with the results.
little clean up but not overkill. Really like the way it cleans the brass.
I'm hoping that with a good clean neck that the neck tension will be more constant or at least in my head. Anyway hopping that my Es and occasional flyer will improve. I've always cleaned with walnut media and a brass brush and felt that it lacked being consistent in some areas. Any way thanks fellas.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.