Gun brass cleaner upgrade

Vol1975

Looking for some insight and recommendations on a new brass cleaner setup. My current setup for the past 20 years has been a tumbler with corn or walnut fill. I'm looking for a setup that will clean rifle brass espically the inside of the case. Whether it be a sonic cleaner or one like the frankford steel media cleaner using pins. I would like to take in consideration of ease of use and cost of operation and general something that will last.
I've read a lot of reviews but I want a general thought from everyday reloaders on what they like and don't like on certain cleaners. At the end of the day a cleaner that cleans the brass inside, primer pockets, and doesn't damage the brass is a must.
thanks fellas and looking for some feedback.

Several years ago I started to add reptile crushed walnut bedding which is much finer than standard walnut media to a ratio of 1:1 with standard walnut media. I believe the brass gets cleaner faster since the surface area of the smaller particles can get inside the case much easier and more surface area touching the brass outside itself. The added benefit is far less media catching in primer pockets and just seems to clean faster and easier. I do add Flitz as well to each run.
PetSmart Reptile Walnut Bedding

I got a Thumbler tumbler model B stainless steel pins it gets everything and no damage
Also have a Hornady sonic for low volume and a frankford arsenal vibratory with corn cob media
In the thumbler how much steel pins do you add and what cleaners do you add to it. Basically can describe your process. It looks very heavy duty and would do the job.

I put one bag of pins in it 2.5 lbs
I squirt a little (maybe a tablespoon)Dawn dishwasher liquid in it and about a quart and half of water and turn it on for 3 hours but I haven't tried it any less time

Last edited:
I started out using pins but hated that they got stuck in the primer pocket and case neck with annoying regularity. I switched to Southern Shine stainless tumbling media and have been 100% happy with it. I think it cleans better than pins and I've never had it get stuck in a case.

I also used to use Dawn detergent and a pinch of Lemishine and the brass gets really clean...TOO clean. I started noticing that my powder funnel on my Dillon was really sticky on the super clean brass. I switched to automotive wash-n-wax...still gets the cases clean but leaves just a trace of wax to make loading easier. As a bonus, I notice that my prepped brass stays shiny longer. The other option that I've heard is to dry tumble it before loading...the coating of dust serves the same purpose.

Just curious, but what is the most common way to ensure the brass is dry completely after the steel pin in water, etc cleaning cycle? Also, about how long do you leave them tumbling? Is the above mentioned 3 hours pretty common for a good cleaning?

Thumblers stainless steel was a huge change for me. I am going to look at cynjon's stainless media to see what it is about.

Just curious, but what is the most common way to ensure the brass is dry completely after the steel pin in water, etc cleaning cycle? Also, about how long do you leave them tumbling? Is the above mentioned 3 hours pretty common for a good cleaning?
I put 'em on a cookie sheet and leave 'em on a sunny windowsill for about three days.

Looking for some insight and recommendations on a new brass cleaner setup. My current setup for the past 20 years has been a tumbler with corn or walnut fill. I'm looking for a setup that will clean rifle brass espically the inside of the case. Whether it be a sonic cleaner or one like the frankford steel media cleaner using pins. I would like to take in consideration of ease of use and cost of operation and general something that will last.
I've read a lot of reviews but I want a general thought from everyday reloaders on what they like and don't like on certain cleaners. At the end of the day a cleaner that cleans the brass inside, primer pockets, and doesn't damage the brass is a must.
thanks fellas and looking for some feedback.
I use the Frankford arsenal Tumblr with stainless steel pins very little Dawn and lemi shine with warm water works great

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.