Guide me in the right direction! Please!

Photographer

I will be hunting whitetail Deer at ranges out to 500 yards Maybe More. Now I have a 25-06 Sendero and wanting to get another Bull Barrel rifle. Probibily 300 WM. Which Rifle would make me the best out of the box rifle under $800.00. Will plan to make improvements later. Thank you very much.

Take that Sendero to a competent gunsmith and spin on a top quality barrel in a 6.5-06 or 280 Rem. Bed the rifle properly too.

You will be way under budget ($350 to 450 for installed barrel) with a rifle that will outshoot any off the shelf rifle. I am talking a rifle that can hit a clay pigeon at 500yds and beyond if you are capable.

Load with 140gr SST if 6.5 or 154/162gr SST if 280 and you will have a rig effective to beyond the ranges you want to shoot at.

Jerry

The 6.5-06 is basically the 30-06 necked

down, like your 25-06 is an '06 necked

down. .270 wsm is a great cartridge for

500+ yards on deer size game. If you dont

handload that would be a better choice too.

You can pick up a model 70 coyote(heavy

stainless 24" barrel, 9 lb rifle) in any of

the WSM's for 600 or 700 dollars. I'd also

take a serious look at a savage model 12.

The ones ive seen have shot MOA or better

out of the box.

Where do you go for shots out to 500yds or more in Savannah, GA.? I used to do alot of Whitetail hunting in Jackson, GA. when I was growing up and it was so thick I carried either a Ruger .44 carbine or a Marlin .35 rem. Now we did have the occasional firebreak or GA power line breaks that could give us a great deal of distance. Do you go out of state to hunt?

I hunt about 1 hour and 15 mins north of Savannah in Screven County Ga. We have Soybeans fields and Gas lines and alot of other crop lands. I could probibily Shoot over 1000 yards. But not ready for that yet. Will be one day. Thank you.

Think I would look at a couple guns.

Savage heavy barrel in 300 Win or 300 WSM.
Price is right, and accuracy out of the box on pillar bedded laminate stock from the factory. Cost is $600

Win Stealth or Coyote in 300 WSM. Stealth has 26" barrel and Coyote has 24".

My 300 WSM Coyote after pillar bedding, trigger adjustment and recrown will shoot 9-14 inches normally at 1000 and around 4" at 500.

Stealth is better platform to build a LR gun on later as its stock is much better for LR work.

BH

I like the looks of the Savage 12BVSS in 300 wsm. The gun weighs 10 pounds I like that too. I have shot groups with a Sendero 300wm and the recoil did not bother me. Do you think the 10 pound 300wsm would give me any trouble. Thank you for all the help. Feel free to continue.

If they make it, consider the 7WSM or the 270 WSM. In the wind, both of these will have bullets with much better BC. A 154/162gr 7mm or a 140/150gr 270 will be plenty for deer at ranges 500yds+. I prefer the 7WSM and 162gr SST/Amax.

I had a 30Gibbs which I really liked but at ranges beyond 400yds, the wind was not my friend. Now I have a 6.5-06. Although a lighter bullet (140gr vs 165gr), the increased retained velocity and reduced wind drift make a big difference.

I have had little trouble connecting in wind that would have made hitting with the 30Gibbs very difficult.

Something to consider since you are 'beanfield' shooting.

Jerry

I believe the 10 lbs would only give you trouble if you were lugging it around all day. The weapon I take is based on where I'm going and what I'm doing. If I have found a location where I plan to stay all morning or day and that overlooks a great deal of property for longer shots I carry a heavy barrel and Bipod. If I know, I'm going to be walking or into dense brush I go down to approximatly 7 lbs. Here in California it gets hot anf the land is verticle. My thoughts.

The 12BVSS you mentioned is a pretty hot number right out of the box. I've had 2 that shot 1/2 MOA out to 800 yds, in 300 Win/Mag. With scope you'll go over 10#, but from stand or bi-pod should be no problem....Both those guns were pillar bedded by me with Basix triggers, this was before their new trigger and when they just used the front pillar. Have seen several of this model and talked with others(whom I have reason to believe)...that have shot an occasional group of 14" or less at 1000 yards. After you shoot that barrel out then you have the platform for a Lilja, Krieger, or Hart. FWIW

Thanks for all the great help. I will continue to think on this one a little longer. But for the time being Gun season starts tomorrow here in my part of Georgia. I will be there with my 25-06 Sendero. I have already killed deer out to 445 yards with it and plan to do better this year. Thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.