Group Buy for Patagonia Ballistics Program

Huntinfool

Hey Fellows,

This is a thread to see what the interest will be for a group buy for Patagonia Ballistics Program.

I have Len's permission to run a Group Buy from his forum!

Thanks Much Len!!

I've done a little checking myself and I think this is a very good program that promises technical backup and future updates included in the license price.

Such as; The folks at Patagonia are presently working on a downloadable PDA or handheld PC program and it will be made available to all licensee's as soon as it's available, free of charge.

Check it out for yourself and contact me via PM for more details. We will be able to save a lot off the regular price!!

This program seems to have everything one could want or need!

Here's a link to Gustavo's Article here on LRH......
http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/quest-for-ballistics.php

And here's a link to his site so you can check out all it offers...
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com/

Please contact me via e-mail for more info such as pricing....

[email protected]

Thanks,
Chuck

Last edited:
I've read Gustavo's article and posts, and have viewed his website several times. I find his software very interesting, and with a lot of features I'd like to have......however. I have 2 or 3 very good packages for my desktop PC and have a very good one that I use in the field on my Palm.

Therein lies the rub for me. Gustavo is going to bring out his field/pocket software in the Pocket PC format so, for me, the only thing I'd end up with is another great desktop PC software package. Even though that would be a good thing, I'd also like it to be compatible with the Palm, which I use because of personal preferences.

If Gustavo had the same offer, only with a version for Palm in the field, I'd probably already have his software package.:confused::confused:

I'll keep watching though, and may go with the desktop version anyway.:):)

When he gets the Palm version I would be interested. I don't need any more desk top ones. I like my Palm because the battery lasts 3 to 4 weeks and it fits in the pocket on my Swarovski range finder. Pocket PCs have no place for me. If I needed that much I would just take a lap top along. I'm with ss7mm, if were Palm friendly, I would have already had it.

Well!

Edumacate this old country boy what all types of pda, palm, pocket pcs are available.

I guess I need to take a crash course on this subject cause as they say it's all greek to me!

HELP???

Chuck

I use a Palm because you can buy them soooo much cheaper than a Pocket PC unit. I only use it for one thing and that's field use of my ballistic software so I don't need the capabilities of e-mail, Excel, games etc. etc..

If you have to have all of the normal desktop functions in a pocket unit then go with the Pocket PC format. If all you want is something to run your field ballistic software then consider a Palm. They are really available at throwaway prices and handle the ballistic software just fine.

Just make sure that if you buy a Palm that it has battery backup for the memory. Some of the really lower end units will lose the installed software if the battery goes completely dead.

Oh yeah, ;) if you buy a Palm, make sure you get the software that is Palm compatible.:)

I'm In

Would also like to see a vista version as i have the xp version and can not get it to run on vista.

Oh Boy!

I just talked with my neighbor she's a CP and bookkeeper for the company she works for.

She told me that the experts came in and told them that they'd have to be totally retrained to work with the new Vista OS.

I know a lot of stuff is not compatable with Vista yet. The web site says XP I'll ask the owner Gustavo and see what he says about Vista.

According to what a lot of people are saying the PALM technology is a dying tech. But for those who never want to do anything other than run their bal. pro. I guess they can get by!

I'm looking into getting a pocket pc. But that version will be down the road maybe 3 to 5 months.

Right now we are working on the regular pc downloadable system.

Any of you who are really interested contact me via e-mail so I can keep everything straight!

Tell your friends if they might be interested the more we get on this group buy the better price we'll get to a point anyhow.

[email protected]

Thanks,
Chuck

SS7MM,

Before I bought Exbal, I e-mailed Gerald Perry, the maker of Exbal Ballistics, and he very quickly pointed me in the pocket pc direction. I can't remeber all he said, but looking in his website I find this:

632um1f.jpg

As you can see Pocket PC version was 6.0 is pretty recent, Palm version is lagging behind, plus is my understanding that the PC version runs better, faster and is better. That's the reason mine is a Pocket PC. :)

OK! here is some of what he said in 2005:
For hand held applications, I recommend the Dell Axim which use the Pocket PC version of Exbal.
All of the Axims will work fine.

In 2005 when I asked Geral Perry, of course, technologically speaking that was a very long time ago. Still I vote for Pocket PC.

Last edited:
I'll bite. It seems to have everything I need. I'm willing to spend some money on this software.

My Palm works fine with Vista. My new computer has Vista on it and there was no learing curve coming from ME. I did have a problem getting Exbal to load though. I had to load it on my Palm from an XP computer. My Palm has the advanced memory where if it were to go dead on a 3 week expedition to the Antartic it doesn't lose any data and when charged will come right back to where I was. It cost $99 and the only thing I do with it is run ballistic programs. Palm technology is far from dead. What do you think powers all the Treo phones.

How long does the battery run on an Axim?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.