Great News From Hornady

WildRose

Called them up for some other information this afternoon and before long the conversation turned to the ELD-X. I was asked and gave my opinion on them so far having shot a few and mentioned that I was really disappointed that instead of making it a bonded bullet they decided to go with the cannelure/interlock ring.

Expecting to get really bad news I asked if and when they were going to resume production on the Interbond and was informed that they are running some now. He mentioned that actually they had been working on improving the Interbond when the whole ELD project boomed out of hand and that gave me some real hope the new Interbonds will actually be an improved version with higher BC's than the old version; which had pretty decent BC's already.

He could not or would not give me even a ballpark on when they would start shipping them out to retailers but he assured me that they absolutely were again in production and that he'd personally had his hands on quite a few of them.

This is nothing but good news to me and should be to all, it's a great bullet and it's been sorely missed.

Having another high quality high BC bullet on the market can do nothing but keep pushing all of the manufacturers to do better.

Thank You Hornady.

Great news! Would be nice if the new Interbonds were like the ELDs but with a bonded jacket. That would be an awesome bullet!

Great news! Would be nice if the new Interbonds were like the ELDs but with a bonded jacket. That would be an awesome bullet!
If nothing else they'll probably have the same tips and that will help their BC's beyond 400yds.

It's what he didn't or wouldn't say that has me thinking there may well be some other improvements. We can hope!

If Hornady would make a bonded hollow point VLD similar to the old Match BTHP's they used to put in the old LE version (red box) .308 Win 168gr. TAP ammo & Match BTHP ammo, BUT with better BC's and a sleek modern design, that would be an awesome bullet...But offer it in all the popular calibers and heavy-for-caliber weights. Until recently, Hornady has always been behind in the LR bullet market and keeping up with modern designs. If they would improve their entire line by bringing them up to modern BC standards for LR shooting, they would increase sales significantly.

Despite being match bullets, I figured if they were good enough for LE snipers, then they must also be good enough for hunting, so I took several deer with those old Match 168 BTHP's back in the day, and they worked as good as any other bullet.

Just my thoughts.

If Hornady would make a bonded hollow point VLD similar to the old Match BTHP's they used to put in the old LE version (red box) .308 Win 168gr. TAP ammo & Match BTHP ammo, BUT with better BC's and a sleek modern design, that would be an awesome bullet...But offer it in all the popular calibers and heavy-for-caliber weights. Until recently, Hornady has always been behind in the LR bullet market and keeping up with modern designs. If they would improve their entire line by bringing them up to modern BC standards for LR shooting, they would increase sales significantly.

Despite being match bullets, I figured if they were good enough for LE snipers, then they must also be good enough for hunting, so I took several deer with those old Match 168 BTHP's back in the day, and they worked as good as any other bullet.

Just my thoughts.
The biggest worry an LE Sniper has in most situations is over penetration which is why so much LE ammunition is highly frangible.

Human beings are a whole lot easier to kill/disable than most game animals and when wounded we tend to lay down and scream, cry, give up. A deer, elk, or hog doesn't do that usually unless you interrupt the CNS or break both front legs/shoulders.

The biggest worry an LE Sniper has in most situations is over penetration which is why so much LE ammunition is highly frangible.

Human beings are a whole lot easier to kill/disable than most game animals and when wounded we tend to lay down and scream, cry, give up. A deer, elk, or hog doesn't do that usually unless you interrupt the CNS or break both front legs/shoulders.

You are correct. But, putting adrenaline and instinctual will to live aside...My figuring was a good vitals shot (behind the shoulder) on a deer is about the same depth, bone mass, and density. So, I figured it would expel the energy into the deer about the same, and it worked flawlessly.

I shot a doe with a 110 accubond in my .257 Wby and she ran almost 100 yards with everything inside turned to jelly...

Another reason I like Bergers so much is the fact they also have the quick expansion and violent energy dispersion that can also interrupt the CNS from pure shock-value alone. They function a lot like those old Hornadys did, but with a bigger exit wound and less running.

I'm not sure I would agree with the statement that Hornady lagged behind in high bc bullets in the past. Does anyone remember the 7mm 162 gr National Match? I have a few boxes left, and those bullets are as long as the 180 hybrids of today. The issue in this case was that they were too far ahead of the times...

We are very lucky in todays age of times as the bullet selections are awesome.

I mentioned on another thread that modern bullets along with some old time favourite get the job done with expansion at distance.

I'm guessing many of us consider expansion on light and thick skin critters.
This is our train of thought as one good shoot with placement gets the job done,,, of course with being a bit off target too.

Koo-doos too Hornady for staying the course.

Don

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts