Gray Wolf Killed Michigan LP

Well if there ain't no wolf there I guess it shouldn't matter if you kill the nonexistent wolf.

But that is one of my quandary's, I've always thought if I hit a deer with my car why can't I take the deer home for the meat?
The laws say you can't ( unless you call the game warden ) the deer is property of the state, well if it's property of the state and I can't take it home I want the state to pay for the damage to my car.

I have to say, in all honesty, I probably would have shot it too. He was hunting an area that "supposedly" had no wolves, so why would he question it?
In the heat of the moment, most are not going to really give it that much thought- especially since "there are no wolves here."
Being real about it a Wolf weighing 80+ pounds is hard to mistake for a 35 pound Yote. Now if it was 500 yards away - Maybe?
Just like many years ago a hunter in PA shot an Elk and thought it was just a big rack White Tail.

A Red Wolf is killed every now and then here in East GA. The Red Wolf was introduced into SC years ago. Now a Red Wolf is Just a little bigger than a Yote and you could mistake for a Yote.

Last edited:
I hunted and trapped in the UP since 1978 have caught and shot 1000's of coyotes caught one in a trap several years ago that I looked at for a long time before dispatching it....it looked like a wolf but the head and body looked like a coyotes feet looked small compared to a wolf and had short legs but it weighed almost 60 lbs. a very nice male light colored....had a customer that bought it hole because of its color didn't even need to skin it....taxidermist said he needed to use a small wolf form to mount it.....
One thing I have noticed coyote numbers have gone way down like fox numbers because of the larger population of wolves....also all other animal numbers are extremely low the woods are very much quieter very few grouse and rabbits but every where you go there are wolf tracks been seeing more wolves around the house....never let the dogs outside unless the wife or I are with them and have a shotgun with OO buckshot....
More times than I like have had wolves come out of the woods and stair at me and the dogs across the field....I'll shoot a load of 00 buck their way to get them moving and not want to come back....have caught several in traps within sight of the house way to close....have seen wolves in the winter in town walking the streets at night several people have lost outside dogs on a chain....have found deer dead killed by wolves partially eaten right in town....

I hunted and trapped in the UP since 1978 have caught and shot 1000's of coyotes caught one in a trap several years ago that I looked at for a long time before dispatching it....it looked like a wolf but the head and body looked like a coyotes feet looked small compared to a wolf and had short legs but it weighed almost 60 lbs. a very nice male light colored....had a customer that bought it hole because of its color didn't even need to skin it....taxidermist said he needed to use a small wolf form to mount it.....
One thing I have noticed coyote numbers have gone way down like fox numbers because of the larger population of wolves....also all other animal numbers are extremely low the woods are very much quieter very few grouse and rabbits but every where you go there are wolf tracks been seeing more wolves around the house....never let the dogs outside unless the wife or I are with them and have a shotgun with OO buckshot....
More times than I like have had wolves come out of the woods and stair at me and the dogs across the field....I'll shoot a load of 00 buck their way to get them moving and not want to come back....have caught several in traps within sight of the house way to close....have seen wolves in the winter in town walking the streets at night several people have lost outside dogs on a chain....have found deer dead killed by wolves partially eaten right in town....
Wasn't there something out several years ago where wolves were mating with coyotes and also Coyotes mating with Dogs.

There is talk about re introducing them here in LA LA land. I think they will initially eat the homeless so maybe a good thing
Mike
Big cats getting killed on the 101 here in SLO County. Makes me wonder how many homeless disappear and nobody knows what happened to them? Add in wolves and the homeless population might really take a hit....

Who remembers Wolfen?

I'm continuously told we have no wolves in South LA and South MS. While working 12 miles south of Baton Rouge in the early 1980's, I watched a wolf cross the field. It was 1-1/2 times the size of my 120 lb German Shepards and had huge paw prints. The two Shepherds were in the back of my pickup and were whining & refusing to get out of the truck. A week later, a dead calf was found partially eaten in the woods. Me and a friend (we were both over 200 lbs and were young back then) could not drag the carcass out of the woods.

Hunting in SW MS last year, I saw an 80lb+ animal drag a deer carcass into the woods. Showed a picture to a conservation agent who said it was a coyote. "Dxxned big coyote" was my response. We have kids & grandkids hunting our area. I will not hesitate to shoot one of these "coyotes". Man is the only predator we need here!

Wasn't there something out several years ago where wolves were mating with coyotes and also Coyotes mating with Dogs.

I have read reports and seen pictures mostly in the North East US mostly along the Canadian boarder....I know and would bet there has been a good amount of coyote-wolf crosses in Michigan there has always been a good population of coyotes in the UP and coyotes are much larger than ones in the LP.....

If you look at the UP it would be a slow and long distance for wolves to populate long and narrow with water on 3 sides....theres a good wolf population in Canada but with large dangerous waters to the north except in the far east of the UP but there has been wolves ,moose and lynx from Canada in the east UP that have crossed during the winter for as long as I can remember and have herd stories about wolves, moose and lynx crossing but most would get shot or trapped....
Wolves in the western UP have come from Wisconsin....I hunted the far western UP in the late 70's until the early 90's....saw wolf tracks for the first time in 1978 by the early 90's it was common and deer numbers started to go down....by the late 2000's I went from feeding 200+ deer to 30 in a couple years by 2020 9 was average....
Deer are very good breeders but between a bad winters and wolves I see there will never be a recovery of deer in the UP.....at least with a bad winter and no wolves deer would make a come back but it will never happen with no wolf hunting allowed in Michigan the same goes for Minnesota and Wisconsin....

Also, forgot to say that from 2008 thru 2017, it would seem every evening at sunset, while we would sit by the fire in the backyard of my place in SW MS, we would hear coyotes yapping from three different directions. They could also be heard at dawn. One night in 2017, we heard a wolf howl. The coyotes, which had been yapping, became quiet. We hear very little yapping anymore.

In 2014 I was hunting NW of Pagosa Springs with an outfitter. Guide snd I were eating lunch and this large "coyote" walked up to about 75 yds from us. Laid down and watched us. I looked at guide and said that's a wolf! Nah, none here was reply. It NEVER got spooked just laid there watching us. No coyote would ever do that. I still believe it was a wolf from size, demeanor and physical description. It finally got up and walked away. I didn't have my camera nor phone with me. Left camera on my cot in error packing for hunt.