gotta send my APS rifle back

Ridge Runner

For the first time in 3 seasons and 14 deer, I put a 160 accubond through a deers shoulder from my 7mm AM, and it took 1 step before collapsing, so I'm sending it back and letting kirby touch it, so it regains the magic. seriously guys, I think if I put the crosshairs on a deer and drop the hammer on an empty chamber, the deer would still die!
kirby chalk me up for a 702 yard whitetail. HOW DOES HE DO IT?
RR

I sure do feel sorry for you. Having to put up with that. It should be a crime. Why don't you just ship it to me and I'll take it off your hands.

No, wait, I've already got one and it does the same thing.:D:D

I HATE YOU Im still waiting for mine.

I heard that KIRBY made a deal with the AZTEC god of war Huitzilopochtli back when he first started smithing. The deal was KIRBY would build the GOD a rifle so powerfull it would make the other gods kneel before him AND HE DID IT.

THATS HOW HE DOES IT

Its that or he is real picky

I received my 300 Allen Xpress 3 days before our gun season but couldn't hunt until the last 2 1/2 days because of clients. I mounted the Nightforce scope and eye balled the 100 yard target and shot 3 times to zero and shot 3 more for a 1/2 inch group. Chronoed all 6 shooting 240 Matchkings at 3025 with 96 grains of Retumbo in 10 degree weather with an ES of 5 fps. Told Kirby to just get me something close when accuracy testing because of time issues so I'm sure there is a lot more velocity to be had but it isn't really needed. I then ran a half-*** drop chart off of an online software and proceeded to fire 6 rounds and kill 6 whitetail does from 200-800 yards with one off hand at 250.

Bob, not quite 3 years, I got 10 more days of doe season to go, and a few tags left. hopefully you'll hear more from me in the next couple weeks.
Oh, BTW I consulted a couple folks about the sudden loss of death and destruction of my rifle, the physic, his name was AXE, the yoga guy, think he called himself "Yoga guy", and my best friend bubba, they came to the unanamous conclusion that all the envious slobber over the pics I've posted of my rifle is the cause so Y'ALL QUIT LOOKING AT PICS OF MY RIFLE!
RR

No magic at all, good rifles and just as good of hunters and shooters.

You guys make me and my rifles look good and I am truely thankful for all of you and what you have done to support my little shop.

I take every rifle build very personally, and when I read posts like this, it helps me sleep better at night because I do worry about how all of them are serving their owners.

Thanks for the updates and plugs but again, I only do half the work and then depend on you guys to take it the rest of the way, congrats to all and thank you.

well, yesterday was the last day of early doe season, which runs concurrently with bear season. The group I bear hunt with always have a deer hunt togather during mzzldr season on the farm which the owner gives us right of passage to the mountain for bear hunting.
we treed a bear early and let a youngster take his first bear, and was done, bear was on the truck and all the dogs back in by 3:00.
The farmer has saw my rifle in action as has most of the guys in the crew, so when deer started coming out, the farmer says get your gun and shoot one.
well the deer feed in a small field which is beyond the capabilities of my rangefinder except just the edge closest to me, it was ranged at 1218 yards. being on the property alot I knew it was about 160 yards from one side of the hill to the other. this field joins a 40 acre field that runs on the other side of the ridge and all you can see of it is the fence line.
I asked the farmer if I could shoot at one of the deer below his 40 acre field, he said sure.
so there I was, had a deer somewhere around 1350-1375 yards, permission to shoot, and a crowd gathered round, the pressure was on.

I told the farmer, that I would make my best calculations, then would try a spotter shot or two, to verify that my adjustments were correct before attempting the shot on a deer.
50 yards parralel to the left of the deer was a small patch of snow, I held on it as it appeared about the same size as a deer shoulder.
I dialed in 24 MOA of up, gave it 1.75 moa left wind and held on the patch of snow, hit was just low and right, took total elevation up to 25.5 MOA, gave it 2 more clicks left wind and shot again, the accubond plowed through the snow patch and I got up told the farmer I was ready to try the shot.
I got back on the rifle, put the reticle on the deers shoulder, and messaged the trigger on the 7mm Allen. 1.2 seconds later I watched the accubond impact the doe, not a good hit, farther back then I like them, she jumped, took 2 steps and layed down.
I think I will recover the accubond during the skinning job later today, and am curious as to how it expanded with an impact velocity of about 1575 fps.
well, the farmer said if he hadn't have saw it with his own eyes he would never have believed it to be possible, and told me I was welcome to deer hunt anytime I wanted to.
So I'm at an interesting place to be in my hunting carreer, I've maxed out my equipment, so if my quest is to continue, I need a new load, a new rangfinder and some wide open spaces.
so thats my story guys, a whitetail doe at 1350 yards.
Guess I gotta find some of those 200 gr wildcats! will post a pic or 2 when I get them.
RR

1350.jpg

well recovering the accubond isn't gonna happen, while hanging the deer I found an exit wound in the wolly part of the flank, about nickel sized so even at that low of velocity the accubonds still expand some.
RR

Ridge Runner,

What grain bullet are you shooting and at what velocity?
Curiousity is going to kill me and my pocketbook.

Thanks,
Chris

RR,

I currently have a 7mm AM on order, and posts like this are complete torture. :D Congrats on some fine work on your end as well. Out of curiosity, what are the specs on your rig? Barrel, action, stock, weight, etc? Thanks and congrats again.

Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts