Got my 300 Win Mag back

G'day Tang,
Are you one and the same Tang from Shooters Forum with fond memories of Bob Faucett?

If so, great to hear from you, if not, I am sorely mistaken.

Cheers.

G'day Tang,
Are you one and the same Tang from Shooters Forum with fond memories of Bob Faucett?

If so, great to hear from you, if not, I am sorely mistaken.

Cheers.

Yes, Bob talked me through reloading, and he loved that 8mm Rem Mag. 220 grain Gamekings were his favorite if I remember correctly.

Magnumitis?

Last edited:
Yes, Bob talked me through reloading, and he loved that 8mm Rem Mag. 220 grain Gamekings were his favorite if I remember correctly.

Magnumitis?
No, sorry not Magnumitis, always have been MagnumManiac. That term was coined by Craig Boddington around 20+ years ago now, it described me to a tee and had me chuckling, so I stole it.

Cheers.

This years hunting will be 150 yards max, and most under 50. Is bullets like the Round Nose 220 grain Interlock best? I'm assuming they deflect less than spire points in the scrub?

This years hunting will be 150 yards max, and most under 50. Is bullets like the Round Nose 220 grain Interlock best? I'm assuming they deflect less than spire points in the scrub?
Ummmm, I tested this notion with 2 cartridges back in the day, a 300WM boat paddle Ruger and a Mauser '96 in 6.5x55 Swede with pointy and round nosed bullets.
Sorry to say that ALL bullet styles had a tendency to be moved when shooting through 6-8' of brush and a small deviation even when light twigs were hit. Deviations of 3" were noted even when the target was 25-50yards behind the brush or twigs.
I honestly believe there is no such thing as a brush bucking bullet or cartridge.

Cheers.

Ummmm, I tested this notion with 2 cartridges back in the day, a 300WM boat paddle Ruger and a Mauser '96 in 6.5x55 Swede with pointy and round nosed bullets.
Sorry to say that ALL bullet styles had a tendency to be moved when shooting through 6-8' of brush and a small deviation even when light twigs were hit. Deviations of 3" were noted even when the target was 25-50yards behind the brush or twigs.
I honestly believe there is no such thing as a brush bucking bullet or cartridge.

Cheers.

Thank you sir! I think I'm just going to hunt with factory Berger 185 Classic Hunter this season. Those rounds fired a 0.31" group in a Long Range Ruger test listed on this site. Make them sound promising. I'm using a boat paddle skinny barrel.

I'm actually considering drilling a hole down the center of the forend and putting a threaded rod into it to stop flex, sand the channel out for barrel space and fill the little spaces up with something like epoxy or jb weld, and using epoxy around the recoil lug. Then I could have my boat paddle and a floated barrel. Because this gun did indeed shoot better in the Hogue stock.

I actually have loaded the 220 rn interlock in 300 win mag and taken a whitetail with it. It was perfect for the hunt I ended up doing, it was a 60 yard running shot, quartering away (had no idea I was there, was chasing a doe so suffice to say he had other things on his mind and almost certainly died happy). Absolute hammer at that range, I don't care what people say to the contrary, in my experience AT CLOSE RANGE round nose or flat nose bullets just plain hit harder. I think this is why at 100 yards and under the old reliable 30-30, the first "big gun" I ever shot or hunted with, has killing power all out of proportion to it's drab ballistic charts and energy tables. It hit the abdomen, just in front of the hips, and traversed the deer diagonally. But there was a big surprise...no exit. It's actually a very very soft bullet. Upon examination of the carcass I was stunned to see the bullet actually broke in half at the cannelure very soon after impact, both halves completely traversing the abdomen and chest cavity stopping against the offside shoulder. Most emphatic drt kill I've ever witnessed. He was running when I shot, and just dropped, skidded a few feet from his running momentum, and didn't twitch once. And no bones were hit, no nervous system hit, a purely soft tissue instant lights out.

I actually have loaded the 220 rn interlock in 300 win mag and taken a whitetail with it. It was perfect for the hunt I ended up doing, it was a 60 yard running shot, quartering away (had no idea I was there, was chasing a doe so suffice to say he had other things on his mind and almost certainly died happy). Absolute hammer at that range, I don't care what people say to the contrary, in my experience AT CLOSE RANGE round nose or flat nose bullets just plain hit harder. I think this is why at 100 yards and under the old reliable 30-30, the first "big gun" I ever shot or hunted with, has killing power all out of proportion to it's drab ballistic charts and energy tables. It hit the abdomen, just in front of the hips, and traversed the deer diagonally. But there was a big surprise...no exit. It's actually a very very soft bullet. Upon examination of the carcass I was stunned to see the bullet actually broke in half at the cannelure very soon after impact, both halves completely traversing the abdomen and chest cavity stopping against the offside shoulder. Most emphatic drt kill I've ever witnessed. He was running when I shot, and just dropped, skidded a few feet from his running momentum, and didn't twitch once. And no bones were hit, no nervous system hit, a purely soft tissue instant lights out.
My son killed his first deer this past season. It ran on him, and he hit the spine with his 270. Had to finish it with a pistol. I'm really looking forward to his first DRT. I want to video his face.

His arms are shorter than mine, so this year, I traded for a Remington 783 in .308. Stock fits him perfect. I'm going to get him some Hornady Superformance 150 SST. I believe if he does his part, that should plant them firmly.

My best moment, was 386 yards in a mowed off corn field. Using my 300 Win Mag and the Hornady 180 Heavy Mag (they shot 1/2"-3/4", chrono'd just under 3100fps so I didnt bother with handloads). Laid the gun across the jeep bumper. I aimed slightly above his back, and I heard the "thhhump" after I seen him fall. It just planted him where he stood. It's hard to beat those old Interlock bullets.

Pardon me for derailing my own thread and rambling on and on lol

It's your thread, derail as needed! I agree. I love trying new things and the premium bullets are certainly more pretty to look at but sometimes I actually wonder if that's about the only difference! When I bought my single stage hornady press they had a promotion "get loaded" and i got 500 count of the 130 grain flat base interlocks for my 270. They're boring, in a good way. easy to find an accurate load for, predictable terminal results.

It's your thread, derail as needed! I agree. I love trying new things and the premium bullets are certainly more pretty to look at but sometimes I actually wonder if that's about the only difference! When I bought my single stage hornady press they had a promotion "get loaded" and i got 500 count of the 130 grain flat base interlocks for my 270. They're boring, in a good way. easy to find an accurate load for, predictable terminal results.
After 7 years, getting the gun back, I was sad to see Hornady dont have the Heavy Mag stuff any more. I guess it's called "Superformance" now, but I've only seen them with the SST and those things are fragile.

They have discontinued a few of their superformance options but do still offer the 300 win mag with 165 gmx (an expanding mono-metal similar to the nosler etip and Barnes ttsx). If your after something non fragile.

I made some changes to my rifle in the past couple weeks. I swapped on a Hogue Pillar Bed stock (the "B" version). I traded the 3.8-12x44 Aetec off, and put a Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical 6-24x50 on it.

PhotoPictureResizer_190925_234158776_crop_1008x479.jpg

I also put a Rifle Basix trigger in it. Turned out very nice. Only problem, the previous owner had "tweaked" the sear. It has ZERO "take-up" when you start pulling. It is right at the "wall" all the time, and I don't feel that it is safe. So if anyone knows where I can get a stock sear (blue or stainless), please let me know.

20191004_124326-529x465.jpg

The last thing that I noticed, was the slit the trigger sits in, was bent inward. I have no idea why anyone would do that, unless they were trying to make the stock trigger less wobbly??
20191009_142739-382x509.jpg

Rather than trying to bend it back (possibly break it), I just got a file, and took a few strokes off each side of the new trigger. Basically just took off those little "pads".

20191009_154218-756x1008.jpg

Anyhoo, just thought I'd update my post.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.