Finally got my Buck

Sir, I applaud your tenacity and sportsman conduct in not giving up so that the animal does not suffer longer than it had to. Great job, and congratulations on a successful hunt.

The dog owner said it was a Bluetick Coon Bloodhound, 1yr 4 mo old. He said it was a similar breed as the DD, without the papers and training.

Nicholasjohn, I've had the same thoughts at my 72 yrs about just shooting them in the shoulder to put them down hard, but everytime I see someone else's shoulder shot and the loss of all that meat in both shoulders, I just can't do it yet. Some day when I can hardly walk, I may change my mind. Just not at that stage in my life yet.

I'm of the same mind on that one. I've grappled with my upbringing about this - shoot them "right behind the arm" and have two good shoulders with no blood-shot meat, or break - and completely mess up - one ( or both ) shoulders and not kill yourself packing the quarters out of the bottom of some nasty hell-hole canyon. I had mentioned my buddies in Minnesota commenting about just shooting more deer and shooting them all in the shoulders. I once asked them this : "Are you guys saying that the only reason God gave deer shoulders was to get them to the scene of the kill ???" They said "YUP, that's right." Geez Louise, that seems pretty wasteful to a guy who grew up on wise old sayings like "Waste not - want not."

I think that I'm probably going to be shooting most of my animals right over the elbow, with a bullet that isn't a known meat destroyer. I have found that bigger bullets that expand less violently on light-bodied deer really do destroy less meat, but hitting the bone negates that pretty quickly. If I give up one shoulder ( on an angling shot ) that may be as far into this as I can go on a regular basis.