Good ol 30-06

RMinMT

I would like some suggestions for the 30-06 at 500-600 yards. Game would be deer or antelope. I have a pile of 180 e-tips for my 300 win mag and was thinking maybe a lighter weight bullet for the 30-06. Only thing is I think the heavier bullets will actually outdistance the lighter ones once you get out towards 500 yards.

I tried to search 30-06 but the search tool said there were no matches LOL.

A tip on searching the site, since this search engine doesn't handle calibers well (like 30-06, 284) or anything with short numbers, just type it in google with longrangehunting and it should bring up some topics. Then you can click more results from longrangehunting and get more

try 30-06 longrangehunting then click view others from longrangehunting

I've run into the same problem, so what was suggested to me from others on the site, and has worked very well, is to go to google and type in "30-06 site:longrangehunting.com"

Good luck, and I think with a good 150-165/168 grain bullet you'll be very pleased with the 30'06 out to 500yds. Try the new Hornady Superformance loads, if you're a factory shooter--I've been using them in my .308 SPS tactical and am very pleased.

i'd say try the e-tips, but they could be a little stout for an antelope at 500. i use the 178 a-max in my 06. they'd get my vote for a 30-06.

Sweet replies. Interesting thing is I do have a box of the 178 A-Max bullets.

I was kinda leary about how the A-Max would work on game though.

30-06 is what I go to at this point in my shooting endeavors. I have 3 animals to my credit this season with it from 110-300 yards with a mild 30-06 load and 175 Berger hunting VLDs.

1: Big Blacktail at 100 yards. Dead in 25 feet, no exit lots of shoulder and rib bones powdered.

2: Small Whitetail at close to 240-250 yards. High shoulder/spine hit, exited,
dropped like a bag of wet hammers.

3: Coyote chased a doe from my croshairs and he was going to get it. around 300 yards and he did get it. he took 2 but certainly didn't need it.

In my opinion you would be hard pressed to find a better cartridge than 30-06 for mid range work and medium sized game. If I was comfortable hunting game at 500-600 yards I would not feel under gunned with an 06 and a good bullet. Berger's aren't the only good bullets but they happened to work best for me my rifle and load. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts