30-06

Asking this for my dad what is the max effective range on elk size game and deer size game with a 30-06 and how many more yards can you get out of it vs a 308
A 150 grain Accubond out of 30-06 with a paltry 2911fps MV will yield 1800+ fps and nearly 1100 ft-lbs of energy at 600 yards in conditions of nearly 30" Hg, 82F, and 70% Humidity. It will yield much better in elk country. A 165 or 180 grain similar hunting bullet will do even better.

That's kind of what I was thanking 500 to 550 or so and he uses factory ammo in both right now both loaded with hornady superformance sst 165 grain. His 30-06 is Winchester model 70 I believe 24 inch barrel. And we hunt in nc in foot hills and mountains.we are hoping to go to ky or some were in couple years for elk hunting.and I will be hand loading for his rifle after I've got loads worked up for mine which has been going slow since I just started hand loading one or two months ago
Not to bash Hornady but I have seen over 250 fps MV deltas in 3 consecutive rounds of Superformance 30-06. Just a heads up

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.