Is the .30-06 a good long range caliber?

What I meant to say before, is to get one exactly like RMULHERN's . (well maybe right handed, if you want).

What about like this? :D

I know I need to swap the scope for one more ideal for LR shooting and toss on a rail, but that will come later down the road.

Blueprinted 700 receiver
26" 1:12 Sendero barrel (.30-06 AI, hand-lapped, recessed target crown)
Worked-over factory Rem/Walker trigger
B&C Medalist Classic

76DEEAA5-9517-4C24-9E4B-B53FF8B07ED5_zpskqjszfir.jpg

28FEB5A7-3709-4E06-95A1-A37C2C386DD6_zpszxqfiw7b.jpg

The 270 works good up here in Northern Canada, much the same as the good old 30-06.

The nice thing about the Odd-6 is sending those 180gr projectiles out too 400 or 500 yards +, thick skin game definitely feel the impact.

The reward of this grain of bullet has a forgiveness factor unlike the lighter bullets,,, this is not saying they can't do the job since smaller cased rifles launching lighter bullets have taken large critters at these distances and further.

The old school thought was too send ft-lbs of energy down there too get plenty of expansion as well as impact,,, 30-06 can do this at these 300 or 500 yard range,,, my 300 Wheatherby mag definitely delivers the message, but at the cost of higher dollar brass and ruffly 32% ish more powder. "give or take".

My 7 long time pals do all their harvests with 270's from small critters to massive bull Moose and Northern Elk, 5 of the other pals do the same with the Odd-6 shooting 150s, 165s, 180s, and 200 grainers.

We find that 24"barrels with 7 1/2 lb weight limits recoil with the heavier bullets, and the muzzle break even more.
Each of my pals shoot different weight bullets and many kinds of calibers besides 270's and 30-06,,, me as well...

My plan coming this year is too thin out my collection as a 30/06 factory rifle with a few mods will be the last all round game and target plingking rifle I will own.

Been pumpkin storming this for 3 months is soon too play out now that my 338 and 375 are sold off, few more too go as action plan narrows down.

Pal Don from the America's

All I'm going to say about my favorite cartridge is...
Run a 208 ELD or 212 ELD for that matter to 2600-2650 fps in your Ballistic calculator..
It brings new life into the ole '06...

All I'm going to say about my favorite cartridge is...
Run a 208 ELD or 212 ELD for that matter to 2600-2650 fps in your Ballistic calculator..
It brings new life into the ole '06...

Yep, so does a 185 VLD at 2,950...At 1,000 it's still commanding 1,579 FPS and 1,024 Ft. Lbs. of energy. It's very close to the 208 ELD at 2650. :cool:

What I meant to say before, is to get one exactly like RMULHERN's . (well maybe right handed, if you want).

Wish you could be here to shoot it!

JON BEANLAND.....knows how to build an accurate rifle!!:D

It's absolutely boring....to shoot at 1000! It loves the Berger 195 VLD's!!

The fun factor too the good old 30-06 is its history, and the chance for recreational shooters too use it as well.

What a game changer when folks in the America's were able to get their hands on one, USA and Canada were lucky that something like this came along.

Many of us on all kinds of shooting forums realize that there are better calibers, cartrages that support better BC &SD then the Odd-6, "as expected, yes". But what ever way we look at it the old school cartrage gets it done.

The 30-06 is a good plate forum for 100 plus years, ammo is frugal priced, recoil is ok depending on barrel length, weight of rifle, recoil pad, or the option on muzzle break that helps tame things down,,, this could be said for all rifles too.

Those of us getting up there in years "could" plan a course of action with this or other calibers too reduce or collections of fire-arms if we choose "that is".

There are so many ways too come up with what might work best for us in regards to owning 1 rifle or many as each of us have different flavour rifles and cartrages that suit our needs,,, where we live, game that we choose to harvest, critters or target plingking. Paper or steel silhouette.

The fun factor for me is all the above, walking into a firing range too set up is always a thrill as every person asks what you shooting today,,, my reply will be the Odd-6 as it is a peace of history that will be on going long after the day I'm gone.

Not sure what's happening down in the lower 48 States, but every sporting goods store and firearm deal up here in Canada always has 4 or 20 brands of rifles chambered in good old 30-06.

Some sales folk mention other calibers at the counter, but even today most folks up this way head out the door with 243, 270, 308, and 30-06 since they are very common place with the general public.

That's not saying that many other caliber rifles are not selling either since the 7-mm-08, 6.5creedmore, and 20 too 30 others are good sellers too

Pal Don with thoughts from Northern bush lands of lakes rocks and trees for as far as one can see.

Perhaps the day will come when I start a story about this long time rifle and the places it travels.

I love my '06. It's a Remington BDL, and with its preferred load with 185 VLDs I get 2730 and less than 2" groups at 300. I'm completely confident in this setup for deer and elk in the areas I hunt in MT for deer and elk. At some places, the shots can stretch on the long side, and at elevations above 6000', it has plenty of energy for my purposes. I've set up where the shots might stretch to over 700yds for elk, and as I said, I was completely confident in the rifle and chosen load's abilities for those purposes.

Altitude helps a lot when stretching the '06 long for big animals. I don't limit shots at all because of the cartridge. The 185 VLD has been boringly predictable for me at what I call long range (500+ yds), and drop is just an easily-accounted variable in my experience.

VLDs have not been too fragile in my experience, and exits on broadside hits on deer and elk are the norm, even at bow range. Others seem to have had different experiences, but the 30 cal 185 and 190 VLDs have performed admirably for those that I have hunted with and myself in guns that shoot provide 30-06-level velocities on up to 600+ lb elk with shots in the front ribs.

For an all-around hunter in the intermountain west, an accurate '06 with bullets 180 and up seems nearly ideal to me for all big game animals at modest-to-long range. If I was going to recommend a cartridge for said purposes though, it would likely be a faster 7, such as a WSM, a SAUM, or a Rem Mag, with heavier sleek bullets.

I am shooting with a confirmed 1/4moa load in my new 30-06 Serengeti. Shooting the Berger 185 Classic Hunters at 2850 fps.
Shot out to 700 today. Lots of fun to shoot without all the recoil of a 300 Win mag.

Brian

I'm thinking the new Berger 200.20x bullet could also really shine in the 06, definitely will be checking them out in the 08 and 06

I'm thinking the new Berger 200.20x bullet could also really shine in the 06, definitely will be checking them out in the 08 and 06

I agree Rhian, I'm thinking some Reloader 17 would be a good choice.
I'm hoping for 2650-2700fps. That's asking a lot, but I'm getting 2650 with RL17 and 208 ELDs.

Brian what powder are you using for your 185 gr load? Barrel length?

I can't get faster than about 2669 fps in mine. It only has a 22" barrel though.

Wasn't happy with the RE17 temp swings with the 185s. 210 gr had much less effect with temp in my 30-06.

Curious to see if the 200.20x perform like the 215s do on game.

My load is H4350 (57.0), Fed210m, Berger 185 Classics, seated 70 thou of the lands.

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.