30-06 options

Thank for this link. Good information there -- looks also like you kind of kicked the hornets nest there. How has the load done for you long-term?
The load long term has been doing me well. I am looking at maybe revisiting load work since the barrel is now broke in. I have not checked the FPS since the barrel has been broke in. I feel its a little faster. My data is no longer working and its always hitting a little higher then it should be. All in all I like the load. I am able to put one round in the mag and one in the chamber with the OAL I am running. The 06 is still a very good round. Yes there are better LR rounds out there. But for its age its still going strong.

I am able to load to 3.40" in my mag. I run a hex coated 208 grain ELD to 2750 fps with RL 17 in Win brass. I was pushing a 215 to 2650 fps with the same powder with out hex coating. I would think you could get 2600 fps pretty easy and that would get you to 800. As far as stability, you need to consider the elevation you will be hunting at. And honestly I would consider that when doing load development as well. Things change the higher up you go.
Having said that, a 7 mag or 300 mag makes things so much easier past 500 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.