Good caliber for hunting Pronghorn in WY or CO

I am working towards a guided hunt for Pronghorn (may have other questions there, but lets keep this post focused on one topic). My reading of the forums suggest that these critters are skitish and thus long range shots is something you need to prepare for. So, my question is what caliber is good/best (!). My assumption is that any caliber is good (correct bullet placement) as long as the caliber can carry the energy at say 600 yards. So, if this is correct even a 6.5 CM would work, or anything above. Any thoughts welcomed.
What do you have in your inventory of firearms now?

Backbone to brisket a buck goat is only about 12". Pretty small, maybe 110 lbs on the hoof. Use that flat looking landscape's folds, rolls and contours to hunt closer than you think is necessary. Many here in Wyoming use one rifle for everything (beware the man that owns one gun, he likely knows how to use it). Point being use the rifle and load you have the most skill with, and confidence in. Enjoy the hunt!

I've always taken my 243 WSSM. This next year it might be the 6.5 Creed or the 28 Nosler. Heck, I might just have all of them in the truck and decide when it's time. Long shots are certainly possible on antelope but so are close shots. The last one I killed was maybe 50 yards. That same day I took a shot at 360ish, I think. Antelope can be difficult to get close to but they can also be easy to get close to. You don't necessarily need to take 600 yard shots on them, but you probably can. Like someone else said, a guide for antelope is hardly necessary. You'll probably drive roads and glass until you find some, then make a stalk using the little bit of terrain as your cover. All you need to do to get close is know where they are, keep the wind in your favor, and stay in the lowest spots you can, you might go a mile out of your way but it'll be worth it.

Last edited:
I am working towards a guided hunt for Pronghorn (may have other questions there, but lets keep this post focused on one topic). My reading of the forums suggest that these critters are skitish and thus long range shots is something you need to prepare for. So, my question is what caliber is good/best (!). My assumption is that any caliber is good (correct bullet placement) as long as the caliber can carry the energy at say 600 yards. So, if this is correct even a 6.5 CM would work, or anything above. Any thoughts welcomed.

They die easy. They drop like jack rabbits. Whatever you can shoot well in the wind will do it. The faster and higher BC stuff that will cheat the wind will give you range. We took one with a CM this year at 640yds. Steady 2 o'clock 13 mph winds, tipped straight over. But the wind isn't ever steady there. Crazy wind in Wyoming.

Yup the 6.5 creed will work.

One thing to keep in mind is due to its lower starting velocity ranging your target beyond a moderate range becomes critical due to bullet drop.

When I go, I'll be taking my 30 nosler or perhaps my 7 saum. Primarily because the long heavy vlds 230 and 180 respectively buck the wind better.

Antelope are small, I suggest 243 or 270! Definitely not larger as you may damage a lot of the meat! Another suggestion: Bring along a cooler with ice, get the hide off immediately, then put the meat on ice!

My opinion for pronghorn:

Any 6mm, .257, 6.5mm with a good, high BC bullet.
In our group of hunters, we have shot 16 in the last 4 years. Four with a couple .280AIs, but all the rest with 6/.25/6.5. From 160 to 875. Most in the 250-400 range. 6CM (105 Hyb), .25SST (131BJ/135 Hyb), 6.5SLR (130 OTM), 6.5SS (140 VLD, 140 Hyb, 150 SMK), 6.5-06AI (142 SMK).

Pronghorn are small, and light-boned animals. Put a bullet in the right place, and they die very quickly. Be prepared for shots from 100 to 800.

257 Wby with any good bullet, I prefer Barnes TTSX is their TSX.

I brought a 30-06 out with 165s out of concern for high winds which were an issue. The outfitter asked me why I brought a cannon out to hunt a 100lb animal? I told him that people I had talked to took excessively long shots and fought with wind drift on unguided hunts. He explained that although there is always decent wind gusts during the season that they seldom have a client take a shot beyond 200-250 yds so it really doesn't come into play that much. I ended up taking a 400+ yd shot ( which the guide told me I was the second client he ever had take a shot that far) but my brother who came out with me took his at under 100 yds. Mind you that a lot of walking and crawling occurred between spotting and getting into shooting position. I'd say bring what you shoot best and don't mind carrying.