Elk/Deer Caliber

paintballpaki

I'm brand new to the world of bolt action and have limited experience hunting anything outside of a blind. I am in the market for a new gun capable of hunting deer and elk. Fairly positive I'm gonna get a 700, the last thing is which model and caliber. At some point, I do want the ability to put a suppressor on there, and I'm pretty sure the SPS TAC AAC is the only one that comes with a threaded barrel. Let's say I went with another model, is that something that could be easily done by a smith for less than $300? i honestly have no idea. The other thing, is if I did go with the SPS TAC AAC, would you guys recommend i get the barrel floated? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

P.S. I searched the forum for a thread like this, couldn't really find anything good. if this is the wrong place, or there's a thread like this already, please point me in the right direction.

First things first, the permit for a suppressor will be $200. A lot of range in suppressor prices, and I have no experience with that. Threading the muzzle for a break is generally less than $150, a suppressor I would think similar.

There are a variety of rifle that come with the muzzle threaded these days. Remington you mentioned, Tikka, and Sako also. Choices kind of determined how much you're willing to invest

Right, i know the suppressor comes with a hefty price tag for both the stamp and the gear. that's something that would come over a year from now, so it's not my biggest concern i was just throwing that out there to give you an idea of where i wanted to go in the long run. i dont get off active duty till late next year and will be stuck in CA until then anyway, so no suppressor for at least that long.
The thing I really dont know about is the best caliber for what game. Like i said, I want something capable of taking down deer as well as elk, and preferably in the remington line. And i did a quick google search, you're pretty spot on you're threading price, i even found one for as cheap as $75.

A lot of calibers to choose from. A 30-06 can be a good place to start, but in a factory rifle I don't see one in a style I care for these days.

I'd look at .260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor, .308 Winchester , or a .300 Winchester Magnum.

A lot of other good calibers besides those, but these come in styles that include threaded muzzles, heavier barrels, in varmint, target or tactical styles.

A lot of calibers to choose from. A 30-06 can be a good place to start, but in a factory rifle I don't see one in a style I care for these days.

I'd look at .260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor, .308 Winchester , or a .300 Winchester Magnum.

A lot of other good calibers besides those, but these come in styles that include threaded muzzles, heavier barrels, in varmint, target or tactical styles.

awesome. i was thinking about the sps tac aac. do u think think the shorter barrel, "20, would have a large negative impact?

awesome. i was thinking about the sps tac aac. do u think think the shorter barrel, "20, would have a large negative impact?

There will be some velocity lost, how large the effect will depend a lot on how you plan on using it, and the loads you use.

It sounds like your fairly new to rifles, and my thinking the cartridges listed give pretty good barrel life, if you wear one of these out, you'll likely want more in the next rifle, and you will have a good basis for that decision.

For myself I hope to start getting into some classes, in those environments burning up a barrel can be done in the course for some calibers. Plus shooter fatigue can become a factor as well.
Good luck

If you are fairly new to rifles, I would purchase something where ammo can be readily found. Also, I would purchase something where recoil is manageable and skills can be built from that platform. With those mentioned, I would consider the .308 and if it is a factory purchace then look at a Remington 5R. These have been historically "tack drivers". I have one that will tear a ragged hole with 5 shots at 200 yards.

On the other requirement where a rifle to hunt deer and elk or concerned, I would go with the 300 WM with a brake installed. This round has so many options for projectile weight for any type of game, and ammo is readily available. I have taken numerous deer, hogs and one exceptional bull elk last year with this caliber.

Shooting is a wonderful journey and not a destination. What satisfies the urge today will surely not be the same tomorrow.

Awesome, thanks guys. I think, with a little bit more research, I can safely make an informed decision based off the info you guys have given me. I definitely think ill be staying with either a 308 or 300.

Reimgton qc has gone down a good bit these past few years but they're still decent guns if you dont plan on doing a build with it i would suggest that you get tikka with a limbsaver, savage, or a winchester... Since elk are in your plans i would go with a 300 wsm, 300 wm, or 7 mag but if your a bit recoil sensitive a 30-06, 308, or 270 will be great to

ive got a friend who is super into hunting, precision shooting, and reloading who said he would help me out with everything from gathering the parts and getting some work done on the gun. So, I think it will be a little closer to a "build" than i had thought. He recommends I use a 338-06, any comments on that? And i would not consider myself "kick sensitive" so that shouldnt be a factor

My 2 cents worth use a minimum of 7mm Magnum... I know 30-06 has killed lots of elk. The ranch I hunted on last year will not allow a 270. Shot placement is critical on under caliber rifles. Shoot them in the front shoulder and break them down, less likely to lose a wounded animal

Hmmm... I think for what you are asking about ... I think the 7mm rem mag would get the job done out to a 1000 yards. It has less recoil than the 30 cals... Great ballistics... Flat shooting... Accurate... And will hammer deer or elk without working up a sweat. I have a 300 wm and the only reason I went with it over the 7mm mag is because I own 4 308s and a 30-06.... So with the 300 wm I can share bullets when reloading. If I was in your shoes getting 1 rifle... It'd be a 7mm mag all the way.

Hmmm... I think for what you are asking about ... I think the 7mm rem mag would get the job done out to a 1000 yards. It has less recoil than the 30 cals... Great ballistics... Flat shooting... Accurate... And will hammer deer or elk without working up a sweat. I have a 300 wm and the only reason I went with it over the 7mm mag is because I own 4 308s and a 30-06.... So with the 300 wm I can share bullets when reloading. If I was in your shoes getting 1 rifle... It'd be a 7mm mag all the way.

7 mag all the way!