good 30cal bullet for moose??

jacack

I was lucky enough to draw a moose tag this year in Nh and plan to use my new LSR 300wsm but have nver shot a moose and have heard about how tough they are and thought I would ask on here about bullets. I plan to have a close shot as the unit I drew is pretty thick and I really dont think I would have to shoot more then 150yrds.I was thinking about the 180nosler accubond since I have a box on hand but also have some 165 fail safes.well if anyone has any input feel free to offer it up.

thanks
Jared

The 180 Accubonds should be ok, or even the 200gr if your gun can shoot them. I have heard that it is tougher to kill an Elk than a Moose, and a 180 will take down an Elk so you should have no problem.
Learn the Moose's anatomy - that will help you more than anything.

You said "feel free offer up" Here's a couple of experiences one mine and one I know of.

1) My personal experience.
Bull Winkle moose. A young one. Not much for antlers at all. Four quarters hanging in butcher shop were right at 400 lbs. Thus not a huge moose.

First shot: 60 yds broad side. Complete penetration. Saw dust where hit and on the opposite hill side. 130 gr Sierra 270 boat tail @ 3200 fps MV.

The shot severed the top of the heart from the bottom of the heart. The moose just walked off. My jaw dropped so far so fast I almost stepped on it.

A while later, longer than one would think, it fell, got back up. The next shot again @ 60 yds went through both shoulders. Again complete penetration (that bullet isn't supposed to do that).

2) Large New England moose. 30-06 factory 180s. Six shots straight on in the chest. The thing finally gave up the ghost.

Conclusions: get as much shock & awh as you can get. Just a hole completely through a moose doesn't seem to be enough from these reports and other's I have have gathered.

I'd say in the 300 with the 180 accubond souped up to the best your rifle will shot it should give you the amount of punch necessary to make a quick harvest. My moose walked about 50 yds then fell and rolled back to where I first shot him. Haul out was minimal. If he would have walked just 15 more feet the haul out would have been staggering.

I'd go with nothing less than an accubond souped up as fast as your rifle will shot it in IOM accuracy (Inches of Moose). Good shootin'

The 180's will be plenty for moose with a well placed shot. Last fall I watched my dad drop a 3 year old bull in his tracks at 163 yards using the 180 gr accubond out of a .30-06.

i've only shot about a doz bullwinkles myself but have heard from others that have shot quite a few.their advise is to shoot them one time in the boiler room and give them enough time to die.you can shoot them one tme or half a doz and it doesn't seem to make much difference in "dieing" time.most of the moose i shot i just nailed em in the head.doesn't seem to matter what bullet i used,they all worked pretty well! the top of their neck and head is the size of a small deer. i can guarantee you moose are no where near as difficult to kill as deer or elk.they just take longer to fall down.the indians used to shoot them with a 22 long rifle in the guts, then leave for a few hours and come back. the moose would be piled up within a 100 yds or so of where they shot it.with that said, i can show you video of the outfitter i stayed with shooting a moose in the head 4 times before it stayed down!

Yes its true, moose die easy. AS LONG as the bullet has enough weight and weight retention to muscle through any big bones you may hit. If all you can get is a quartering to you shot, you will be hitting big bones.

The ACCUBOND bullets, partition and X bullets will all handle the task with ease.

Congrats on the permit!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.