Good bullet for long jumps?

bookworm

Helping a friend tune some hunting loads for his Ruger Mk II in .300 WM and I need some help.

His magazine well is so short that I can't load bullets that are close to the lands. For both Bergers and Nosler Accubonds I'm looking at a jump of 0.165" if I load just short enough to fit in the magazine.

I know this is a gigantic jump, but it's what I have to work with. I shoot my Remington with 190gr Bergers touching the lands and can still load my mag well.

My question is whether there are any good long range (500 - 600 yds) bullets that anyone can recommend that are known to shoot well with long jumps like I have here.

I plan to load up some of the Bergers and Accubonds to see how they shoot, but thought I would tap the expertise here to see if there is anyone with experience with these long jumps.

Thanks!

Barnes ttsx will blow through an animal at 600 yards and shoots great with a jump into the lands. The BC's are typically higher than listed. The 180 and 200 shoot extremely well in the 300 win mag.

I had an old 300 win mag that had the same problem and I could not get it to shoot anything well until I tried some Hornady 180 grain Interlocks. With a large jump (if I remember around .100 inch) it would shoot 5 shot groups between 1/2 and 3/4 inches at 100 yards. It's not a fancy bullet but it shot wonderfully out to 400 yards and they are dirt cheap. It might be what you were looking for but since that day I always keep a box on hand and have found they shot excellent in every rifle I've tried them in.

I jump my 140 gr vld bergers in my short action 6.5-284 over 40 thou jump and they shoot super good. i also jump my 185 gr vld 30 cal in my 300wsm maybe try the 185 vld vs. the 190's they might have a little bit of ogive difference, i havent checked them to see. But you never know how much of a jump you can do until you try it, I would have never thought either of my bergers would shoot well unless touching the lands of either of my guns. The WSM shoots under MOA all the way out to 800 yards, very acurrate gun. I havent been able to stretch out the 284 yet, I just got it from my builder a few months ago.

So the best advice i can give is try it and let er' rip gun).

Thanks guys. I'm going to just play around a little with the Bergers and Accubonds I have and see what happens.

I jump .308 200g Barnes LRX .210" in my Sendero SF II .300 RUM. I'm getting excellent accuracy with them, regardless of the jump.

I have a few rifles, two 308 Mil Spec Remingtons, and a 270 WSM Model 70 Win with jumps over .150". I have found that the Nosler Ballistic Tips and Accubonds work very well with long jumps. All three of these rifles are are sub .5 MOA. I was surprised to see the long jump with the Mil Specs but the first one I owned shot so well that I bought another one after I shot out the barrel at around 2500 rounds. For competition, the Sierra 168 and 175 MK's shoot very well. My 6.5 x 284 Savage gives the best performance with 140 VLD Bergers jumped .075".

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts