7SAUM Moose bullet choice?

Mxracer532

I expect to have my 7SAUM back with only a few weeks till my once in a lifetime WA moose tag. It is being chambered for 180ELDM's/VLD's. I am looking for some feedback on if I the ELDM would be fine. Any shot over 100 yards will be with my SAUM, but my intentions are to use my bow and the rifle is last resort. I have ELDM's already and know they will shoot, I have access to some 168g Barnes LRX's as well. Thoughts???

I expect to have my 7SAUM back with only a few weeks till my once in a lifetime WA moose tag. It is being chambered for 180ELDM's/VLD's. I am looking for some feedback on if I the ELDM would be fine. Any shot over 100 yards will be with my SAUM, but my intentions are to use my bow and the rifle is last resort. I have ELDM's already and know they will shoot, I have access to some 168g Barnes LRX's as well. Thoughts???

I guess that before I offer an answer, I have a question....will your shot be perfectly placed, or do you want a bullet that offers some insurance for a poorly placed or an angled shot. To fill that "once in a lifetime" moose tag, are you willing to wait for the perfect shot?

If you can guarantee perfect placement, broadside, behind the shoulder, between the ribs.....most any cup and core of 150+ grains should be adequate! Anything less than perfect....a quality, premium, controlled expansion bullet would be my suggestion! With the two options you offered, the Barnes....."hands down"! We (wife and I) in 25+ years of using Barnes Bullets, we have taken quite a few big game animals, including two moose, with some shots at extreme angles, requiring great penetration.....and have yet to be disappointed in their performance! But, as always...that is my opinion....and should be judged as such! memtb

I live in Bellevue, WA. I have a lot of experience with the 7 SAUM. Let me know if you need any help.

I live in Bellevue, WA. I have a lot of experience with the 7 SAUM. Let me know if you need any help.
Sounds good. I have done some reloading for one I had built then had the smith take his **** off cause he was a dick and wouldn't do what I wanted. But that was with 180 ELDM's and Rel23

I'm a big fan of the regular Nosler Accubonds. I've taken antelope, deer, elk, moose and bear and they always perform great. Best all around bullet in my opinion. If it were me I would use 160gr Accubonds. I've had great luck with Barnes also.

Kevin

With a 180 eldm in 7 SAUM I've witnessed very poor penetration on a bull elk shot right behind the shoulder at 305 yards, he died pretty quick but had the shot been 3 inches forward... who knows. I second the recommendation of the 160 accubond, or partition! but I wouldn't hesitate on those Barnes.

Last edited:
Also had horrible experience with 180 eldm on elk. Too fragile. Got very good results with the 175 ablr on quite a few elk. My favorite 7mm hunting bullet now. The 160 accubond have worked well too. Wouldn't hesitate to shoot a moose with either one !

I use 168 berger vld killed elk and bears drt

The Berger 180 VLD hunting or the 195 VLD hunting EOL bullet would be my choice. Especially since your rifle is chambered for the 180. If the 195 shoots well in it I would go that route. Good luck on your filling your tag!

The Berger 180 VLD hunting or the 195 VLD hunting EOL bullet would be my choice. Especially since your rifle is chambered for the 180. If the 195 shoots well in it I would go that route. Good luck on your filling your tag!
Only thing I worry about is close range. In my experience close range they grenade.

I hunted for 6 weeks with my bow and ended up shooting my Moose in Montana with a 7mm 140 grain Corelokt bullet out of a 7mm Mag on the last day at 26 yards. I have been on three different moose hunts and in my experience they are not exceptionally hard to kill. Any good bullet in the boiler room should do the trick. Of course there is always that one time and as you said this is a once in a lifetime hunt. I would not trust a match grade bullet for my once in a lifetime hunt, just my opinion. There are so many good 7mm Hunting bullets out there. Nosler Accubonds, Partitions, Barnes TTSX, Berger VLD's, Hammers the list goes on. In my experience the Hammers have been extremely easy to get shooting very nice groups in all of my rifles as long as you match the bullet to the twist rate of your barel. Since you are on a short time frame you may want to try some of those. I would bet you can have them shooting good in your rifle in no time and the folks at Hammer are very easy to get in touch with and very helpful. All seem to be a better choice then a match bullet. Again, just my 2 cents worth. Good luck and please let us know how you do.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.