Best bullet for a moose hunt

You always hear how the Bergers dont breakbones.My experiance is with 338 and they break alot of stuff.I blow big holes threw critters with them.They are usually crushed in tracks,but the moose did go a couple yards:cool:

Attachments

• Norma hole.jpg
    Norma hole.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 112
  • PA290050.jpg
    PA290050.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 107
You always hear how the Bergers dont breakbones.My experiance is with 338 and they break alot of stuff.I blow big holes threw critters with them.They are usually crushed in tracks,but the moose did go a couple yards:cool:

Truth, I have saw chunks of shoulder bone come out the exit holes on bull elk. But lets keep that a secret for the humor factor. Nice Bull !!

Jeff

Our group hunts moose every year in northern Ontario. in 30. Cal we have seen anything from 165gr Sierra game kings to 215 Berger hybrids brought to camp. Most popular and most killed were with 180-200gr nosler accubonds or partitions. Those 2 bullets just seem to work wonders on big game. We have yet to see a 215 hybrid on moose but hopefully one of these days we will. They use to shoot amazing out of my old 300. Win and planning on getting myself set up with a new 300. Win before this next moose season. 215hybrids is where I'm going start.

I've switched to all copper. I hunt for meat, and I just don't like the idea of "only" losing 5-10% of a lead bullet in my animals. I know what the research says, but I just don't see a reason to do it.

Since I switched I've shot one bull elk (.300wm/180g) and two whitetails (.270/135g) and all have dropped instantly or nearly so. Admittedly, this is limited experience, and I've never gone after moose, so take it for what it is. But I'm a believer.

I may have an opportunity to moose hunt in Canada. I have a 300 RUM and Reload my own what would bullet would you recommend.

Our 181g Hammer Hunter will stabilize perfectly in your 10" twist (assuming you have a factory barrel) RUM. They will run between 3400fps and 3500fps in your rifle and be able to handle impacts down to 1800fps reliably anywhere in between. Regardless of angle they will give enough penetration to get to the vitals.

Takni used a much smaller Hammer on his huge AK bull this last fall at over 700y.

If you need any load help we have loaded several 300 RUM's with this bullet and will certainly pass on data.

Steve

I may have an opportunity to moose hunt in Canada. I have a 300 RUM and Reload my own what would bullet would you recommend.

What is the twist rate of your barrel?
If it's 1 in 10", I'd suggest the181gr Hammer Hunter. You can also use the 199gr Sledge Hammer in 1 in 10" twist for shots within 200 yards.
With a 1 in 9" twist you could move up to the199gr or the 214gr Hammer Hunter but, I hardly think that would be necessary. Member TXAoudadKlr recently posted pictures of his 5,000# Cape Buffalo bull that he killed with a single round through the boiler room with a 300 RUM using a 181gr Hammer Hunter bullet! He also posted pictures of the terminal performance of that bullet on his animal. See the thread " Hammer Bullets", page 16. I would think that you'd be well served with any of the four aforementioned bullets, provided your barrel has the proper twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.