Range results for a bullet/load combo for upcoming moose hunt

Jeff In TX

wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

I've been working on a load for my .308 for up coming Alaskan Moose hunt this fall.

Here are the range results from today, shooting the Barnes 165 gr. X Bullet.

Outside temp 103 degrees with little to no wind. Dosen't get any better!

The Barnes x bullets shot extremely well and I couldn't be more pleased, but I need to some fine-tuning.

We started off with 44 grains of VarGet and those produced consistent groups of .450" at 100 yards.

45 grains opened up to .660" groups at 100 yards

46.5 grains gave a consistent .50" groups at 100 yards.

My buddy Dave was doing the reloading and I was shooting. Dave didn't tell me until I was done shooting, but he played with the bullet seating depth on the 46.5 grain loads so that must have accounted for the groups getting smaller and not opening up like I thought they would have.

I don't have the exact load make up as Dave kept those notes, but when I'm done I'll let everyone know my exact load.

Next week we're going to chronograph the loads and work more with the bullet seating depth to see what we come up with. To be honest after listening to some of the accuracy stories on the Barnes X bullets, I was hoping for .75 inch groups. Getting groups in the mid .4's with a hunting bullet is fantastic in my book.

I'll keep everyone posted.

One thing-you may want to remember that it won't be 103 degrees in Alaska this fall-some say that a wide variance in temp makes a differance in your groups-personally I have never had it make much of a differance-espically in hunting situations-Just my .02 worht.
wink.gif

Hey Jeff,
What part of Texas are you residing??? Glad to see another Texan on board! Best wishes with the Moose hunt. Just my .02 worth: Do some research on powders with the least temperature sensitivity or definitely spend your first day doing some confirmation shooting in Alaska. The field is the last place you want to learn what you should've done. Good Shootin'

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts