Going elk hunting

Gerald Ross

I finally drew an elk tag for Nevada. I will be hunting with a Weatherby 6.5/300 Magnum, 26" barrel w/1:8 twist, Vosicity 3300 FPS.
the bullet will be spinning at around 300.000 RPM. I will be loading my ammo so my question is, what bullet would you recommend for theses numbers. My concern is keeping the bullet together in flight. Your thoughts are appreciated.

......My concern is keeping the bullet together in flight. Your thoughts are appreciated........

Any of the Hammers will hold up to the stresses mentioned. For longer range the 124 Hammer Hunter, to moderate range the 139 Shock Hammer are good in a 1-8" twist, lighter as well, but I think these two are where you want to be.

The 124's have been pushed to 4000 fps in a 1-6" twist, so I really don't think you can drive the Hammer's fast enough to worry about them coming apart.

I am running 130 Accubonds 3350 fps from my 9 twist 27 3/4" barrel 264 Win mag with no problem. Awesome bullet in my experience both close in and a bit over 500 yards so far on deer. Most important thing is to learn to put what ever bullet you will be using in the right spot on the elk.

I recommend against the accubond. I have seen them fail on a close shot with high-speed contact with anything. Although you may anticipate a long-range shot, you might get a shot at 20-50' where the velocity is still over 3200 fps. In that situation I have seen them behave as a varmint round that came apart immediately and did not penetrate.

hammer bullet or a barnes which ever shoots the best

This ^^^^^^^ is the way I'd go. But, assuming they both provide adequate hunting accuracy, I'd take the Hammer for its unique terminal performance characteristics. So far, my experience with the Hammers has been excellent but I don't take the number of animals that some LRH members do.

Took this deer with 142gr ABLR @ 300yds- went straight down

Attachments

• 5C72C541-0B7A-4D79-AD72-DF78B8346C6E.jpeg
    5C72C541-0B7A-4D79-AD72-DF78B8346C6E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 229
Hint, instead of being there opening day, go the last week in the season. The elk will be low in the pastures with the cattle and you will see many more. Greenhorns want opening day. Those that do it every year wait till they are low, drive out to BLM, shoot over the truck, drive out and put it in the freezer.

Heavier Nosler for me.

Hint, instead of being there opening day, go the last week in the season. The elk will be low in the pastures with the cattle and you will see many more. Greenhorns want opening day. Those that do it every year wait till they are low, drive out to BLM, shoot over the truck, drive out and put it in the freezer.

Heavier Nosler for me.
Some folks like to hunt, not just shoot off the truck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.