Gimme a Brake (a Muscle Brake)

Well, it is now August. I am still working on putting a muzzle brake my old REM 700 PSS 300 RUM.

After my brake arrived, I took my rifle and the muzzle brake to the gunsmith. It then went to throat erosion and some pitting in the chamber. Ok, New Barrel? Be a shame to put on a new Barrel and not blueprint the old 700 action. Man, I really hate to keep my stock trigger if I have a trued action and a new barrel with a muzzle brake.

Crap, I am taking delivery this week (God Willing) of my Remington 700 PSS now fitted with the 4 port muscle brake, a brand new Hawk Hill 7MTU 1-10 twist barrel finished to 28". I had the chamber cut with a newly resharpened 300 Rum Tactical Match reamer. It has my now blueprinted action, and a Timney Trigger set to 11 oz. The only things I have left alone are the HS Precision Stock and the warne 20 moa rail.

It will now be a bit heavier to carry, but, I have high hopes that the recoil will be more manageable. It may also shoot a bit tighter.

Wish me luck
rch

Awesome. I'm sure it's gonna shoot a lot better than it used to. And you're gonna love that 4 port brake... It's a muscle brake? That's what I've got on my 338 Ultra. It is now the lightest recoiling hunting rifle that I own.

Yes, I originally started all this by ordering a Piercision 4 port NON-MAGNUM Muscle Brake in 30 cal.

I forgot I requested a CeraKote finish for the action and barrel so it will be late next week now.

Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound.

thanks to all... rch

My daughter who's 12 and wife shoot my 300 wm all the time all day long. It's a bit on the heavier side but the brake that Norbert @ Sure Shot Rifles in Boise Idaho put on when he installed my Rock Creek barrel is UNREAL. Look him up on Facebook and call him. He makes his own but IMO it's similar to a Holland.
Make the drop to the 300wm and save the powder and wear n tear on yourself. Good Luck.

I know Norbert quite well and he uses a lot of my brakes. I just talked to him yesterday actually.

Sorry. You must be the "guy" that makes them??? If so.... GREAT JOB bro.

He was the first and only gunsmith that called me on 3 different occasions to see if I like the way it shot or if I had shot it yet..... actually that was in a 24 hr. period. LOL!!!! He takes great pride in his work.

I got my 300 RUM back Friday wearing a new 27.5" (when all was said and done) Hawk Hill 7MTU barrel + the Muscle Brake so I am about 29.5" total. A lot of Barrel.

This is my 11 year old PSS that beat me like a stepchild for the whole time I owned it. Load development involved a lead sled and 50 lbs of shot. Hunting was ok because really who cares when the shot time comes, but, I could end up with a visible bruise if I snapped an unplanned shot.

NOW: Yes, it is a touch heavy with the new barrel, but, I am shooting off a bench, with a front rest and rear bag only. I ended up using a one hand hold with my left on the rear bag for the squeeze. FREAKING AMAZING! The Muscle Brake performed WAY above what I believed was possible. The recoil was about like my 243 AI. Less than my 308's. It is more of a push than anything else. The accuracy was excellent (especially for a new barrel). I was shooting 91.5 gr of Retumbo with a 200 SMK so it wasn't a hot loading. I chronographed these at 3030 out of the 27.5" barrel.

If you are tired of having your a** kicked by your rifle, get one of these Muscle Brakes. They are TRUELY amazing.

thanks rch

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.