Getting fitted for a bow

mbarnsr2

A family member that isn't very knowledgeable about archery, went out and spent a $1k on a PSE set up, all the latest and greatest set up. The only problem is, I think they saw a sucker coming, cause they sold him a bow that only has a draw length of 29", and he has almost a 34" draw length. When I asked him if they measured his draw length, or even asked him what it was, he said they told him it doesn't really matter. So now, when he shoots it, his elbow on his straight arm is uncomfortably bent way out at full draw, so he can't steady the bow at full draw, and is all over the target.

I just needed to ask, doesn't he need to be able to stretch his arm all the way out at full draw? Maybe I'm wrong, but I seriously think he needs to go back and make them fix this. They're bow guy should be capable of helping those buying a bow for the first time in making the correct choice, especially regarding fit.

MB

There may no be a fix!

Depends on the bow. Many now have draw lengths that are fixed. Takes new limbs, cables and strings.

34" draw length will be custom order also . Is he 7 ft tall or what?

A knowledgeable archer needs to go with him.

Ya, he is a big tall man with a long reach indeed. And the fact that a properly fitted bow,would have likely required a custom build, he would have certainly gone that route, he wanted to do this right, and is serious about archery, he was relying on some informed help.

If the , shop that sold it to him won't make good, I'm going to take him over to the PSE factory/shop, they have taken care of me in the past with issues that occurred beyond the warranty period, great folks. Their CS dept treats me much like Leupold does, almost a no questions asked approach, if you will.

MB

They should have a drawlenght bow in an archery shop. Here is a goodway to check his drawlenght. Have him stand 90 degrees to a wall, make a fist and extend his arm placing his closed fist knuckles against the wall. Then you take a yardstick, tapemeasurer, etc, measure from the wall to the corner of his mouth (anchor point). This will give you his drawlenght.

As far as elbow bend goes, I prefer a ever so slight bend that allows you to gentley push the bow straight forward towards the intended target at release. I've shot both ways for years, straight and bent. This aids in allowing you to rotate your shoulderbone down and helps eliminate lefts and rights. With the slight bend in the elbow it makes it more comfortable to rotate the shoulderbone. I have a 30" drawlenght.

Finding a good bow shop is hard. Even a good shop can get there share of bad employees. I would go get him measured and if that bow is a no go hopefully he paid with a credit card. At least he can hold that over their head to exchange it or take it back. Some bows are adjustable too. PSE may be able to get involved too.
Worst case they should be able to swap out cams to get him to a longer draw. I actually prefer about a 1/2 less of draw then what I measure out at. It works perfectly for me with the release I was using before I got hurt.

I almost forgot. I was talking to the owner of a small shop I like to use when I stopped by to have him put a new string on my xbow a few months back. They have some new bows that have a crazy range of draw length range and poundage too. I haven't stayed up on compounds since I had to switch to an xbow. Both my little ones are starting to show intrest in bows. They want compounds like dad's that's hanging in the man cave. I remember him suggesting that type of bow as another option then just a kids bow they will grow out of. He said they were popular with kids, adults starting out and anyone looking for a bow with lots of options that didn't break the bank.

That may be something else for him to look into if he gets to take that one back. I just don't see how anyone could say normal draw length doesn't matter other then bows I just described. My first bow as an adult ended up being way too long because the kid who measured me was an idiot. One of
Man issues I had because of him. I was used to getting hand me downs and deal (righty and I'm a lefty) with it so didn't know better. It later was destroyed by another store just trying to replace the strings.

Hopefully it all gets worked out.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. We took it to a good bow shop to see if the draw length could be adjusted any longer without having to swap out the cams, but it's already maxed out.

The one thing I'm hoping is for PSE to fix him up right. One of my boys who is an avid bow hunter, bought a top of the line PSE, often buys a new one annually, and while shooting it one of the limbs shattered, no dry fire, it just let go. But the bow was over a year old and had been used hard. But just for the heck of it he took it into PSE to see of they would replace the limb. They didn't even bat an eye and let him pick out a brand new top of the line bow. They didn't even put his old gear on it either, they let him pick out all the add on's. He also knows the staff down there too, so they kind of cater to him I guess. They are awesome folks over at PSE.

MB

Some limbs have a 5 year warranty on them, and some have lifetime. I used to get 2 PSE bows ayear free when I was a shop shooter down south years ago. I started shooting Mathews back when Matt McPherson started Matthews in it's first year. For some years I shot every bow they made. Bows are my first love, then firearms.

I've known Pete since the early 80's, and in my opinion he has some of the best R&D in the industry. Even in today's archery world, PSE still remains an icon and leader in the market. And despite the fact that most other manufacturer's have technologically evolved, I highly doubt PSE will likely never lose their respected and well deserved place in the market.

Between my Son's and I, we have countless bows, some dating back to the early 80's, most of which are PSE's. I like their bows, but I recently started shooting a Darton Marauder dual cam my Son gave me, that bows is amazingly consistent. I also like Mathews. Years back then there was a better defined line, in which only a hand full of bow manufacturer's were making anything that could compete, technologically speaking.

But yes, PSE has always taken very good care of us, and other's I know have had some very positive experiences with their CS as well. Great folks, excellent archery products.

MB

Yup, know all about Pete Shepley, went to PSE school. Then this should be an easy fix, just walk in the door.

wow, his arm span must be 7ft+... I always have trouble finding a bow with a long enough draw, and my arm span is 6'8". When you add the D-loop for shooting with a release it takes up about a half inch of draw, and all of my bows are set at 31.5".

Hope you are able to figure this all out, but it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem considering PSE's customer service.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.