Bipod for a bow???

25792SP

Has anyone ever tried shooting a bow using a bipod? It works great for certain rifle applications in the field, why not with a bow? hmmmmmm.....lightbulb

Tried it, and know some people who have used them to take game. What you need to do it, is support under your arm right by your wrist that is holding the bow. If you attach it to the bow, the reaction at the shot causes problems if everything isn't exactly the same every time. Getting the height setting right in different grades and terrain is also a problem.

I feel that I can shoot as good or better without it. So to me it really only added weight to pack around and time to get a shot off.

Last edited:
What is bowhunting coming to?...

...it's probably coming to the same advanced technologies that rifle-shooting and all other sporting disciplines have come to. The seemingly new era of long distance rifle shooting for example has given rise to all sorts of new tools and mechanisms for rifles. Archery equipment is similarly also undergoing new advancements and evolutions. There's absolutely nothing wrong with remaining in the "traditional" department! My question simply pertained to the reality of new developments and the constant quest for accuracy no matter what the particular discipline is! :)

bipod_inground2.gif

Stealth Archery

I've tried it. I am quite comfortable to 100 yards with my bow, without a bipod. Some friends of mine very seriously pursue long range archery. They use shooting sticks to support their wrist or the stabilizer. These guys consistently take game well beyond 100 yards.

So, sticks are effective if you put in the time to become proficient with them. Personally, I didn't like 'em. But I've seen their effectiveness.

Long range anything seems to be controversial.

I think Kevin and Grit pretty much summed it up....to many farkles in the heat of battle to deal with....and poof you miss (or worse-bad hit) or the shot opportunity is gone. I decided as well that I'd do better with out it.

Out of ground blind on level terrain and more of static shooting position...this might work better, but then I'd just move the ground blind closer:)

You're correct, long range "hunting" is a very controversial topic. Long range archery where the target is not the worse for wear when the point of impact, is not the intended point, and can't bleed, only one's ego will be damaged.

To compare long range hunting using firearms and archery is flawed logic, IMO.

Betting an animal at 300> yards will not move from the time the trigger is pulled until the bullet arrives is money in the bank. Making the same bet using archery equipment with the game animal at 100 yards, in some cases half that, could result in a unrecoverable wounded animal.

If your willing it live with this risk factor, long range bowhunting may be for you.

I understand positions people take on both sides an that's why I'm not trying to tell anyone what you're doing is wrong, just expressing my opinion.

Same here on expressing opinions.

There are high percentage shots at both close range and afar, whatever the weapon. I'm sure in the prehistoric times, there was a hunter that could chuck a spear 100 yds and pinwheel a sabre tooth 10 out of 10 times. At the end of the day your definition of "long range" should be different then mine, or another random person's definition. The important thing to recognize is one's limitations. Enough on ethics.

Good luck to the original poster.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.