Recommend a forgiving bow to draw....

CrankyYankee

Have owned/shot all different brands of compound bows. Sold everything 5 years ago when my left shoulder went bad and haven't kept up with the industry. Had surgery 2 years ago (SLAP Tear of Labrum). All better now and feel I can get back into it. I'm NOT gonna try to pull 80 lb draw again, but believe I could pull 60-70 as long as the bow is forgiving. I am also not chasing speed. I prefer quiet over speed.

I'd like a bow with at least a 7" brace height, less than 34" axle to axle, less than 4.5 pounds, and easy to draw.

I had a PSE X-Force years ago and getting the cams to turn over while kneeling in a blind was a chore.

Also remember several Mathews (solo cams) being very easy to to draw and hold in awkward positions.

What do y'all recommend?

Remember.... smoothest draw to the wall.

Thanks in advance.

Will

Go lower poundage and less let off.

60 pounds max with 75 percent letoff.

High let off causes that herky-jerky movement in back end.

The elite ritual is very smooth right to the wall.

I would honestly go 50 pounds. These new bows really fling arrows. My wife's 38 pound pse stealth zips through deer so fast you wouldn't believe it.

This may not check all boxes.Its on weight,6.5 brace.Mathews V3X-33,they make shorter but you loose brace h. My last bow was a Bowtech destroyer 340.I hurt my shoulder falling in a chute last year bear hunting.Im probably only at 61#,but I've been stacking them to 70,with my pin tape from my other bow at 67#.The draw curve seems very smooth to me and the thing is so dead quite at shot it is unreal.Had my son shot it last night,hasnt shot since last season pin wheel turkey 10 ring at 30.It has a long riser like a target bow.Many shooters using as a 3d set up This is Remy Warrens set up also and he does a lot of western hunting and is out more than 300 days a year.Ive archery hunted for over 40 years.My last 4 bows where bow tech.But im really liking this thing IBO its 340.I shoot a dial a prayer Axel accutouch, single pin.This is first time I didn't go for 70#, caved and went 65#.But its just a module that you can change yourself

nwmnbowhunter - that's kinda how I'm leaning.

sp6x6 - I was checking out what's new with Mathews and saw the V3x which is what made me start this thread.

I seem to remember that bows with dual cams and split limbs that went beyond parallel (like the PSE X-force) were harder to turn the cams over during draw.

I also remember a buddy's Mathews DXT as being a sweet setup that was smooth and forgiving, but that was back when I was chasing speed.

Am I correct, or incorrect, in saying that in general.... a solo cam like the DXT (or No Cam) will be smoother and more forgiving to draw than a dual cam that's beyond parallel???

Or has technology progressed to where it doesn't matter?

Thank you for the replies so far. Keep em coming.

Will

Last edited:
I would honestly go 50 pounds. These new bows really fling arrows. My wife's 38 pound pse stealth zips through deer so fast you wouldn't believe it.
If you are only deer hunting 50# is plenty of power and honestly no reason for more.
There's too many options for manufacturers to list here. Your best bet is to go to a pro shop and shoot a few different models. Just explain that you don't want a aggressive cam and they will get you set up correctly.

Put a new Mathews Phase 4 together last month. I got the 33" model, and it shoots like a dream. Quiet and dead in the hand at the shot. Heavier arrows are even quieter. VERY accurate and forgiving. Love the stay in the field system as well. Already pulled off the factory original string/cables that's been stretched and peep installed. New string/cables already on and back at stacking them. First new bow ever. I've always gone to pawn shops and what not to pick up what everyone else is getting rid of to get the latest and greatest. The new parallel designs aren't as quiet as the old Solo cam Switchback XT I have, but close, and a better wall with a dual cam system.

As suggested drop poundage. Bows are becoming more efficient and the selection of arrows and broad-heads is endless but helpful.

Some bows go as high as 85% let-off but some of those have a sharp curve to get there. Also check state regulations. Didn't realize some actually monitor max l/o.

I've also found bows with long riser, with shorter limbs and aggressive cams, (target bows) to be the smoothest through the draw cycle.

V3X-33 with 60 pound modules has been my favorite since it came out. This bow sits like a target bow, scary accurate and dead in the hand. I dropped to 60 pounds two years ago and still kill everything I shoot at (so far).......A 60 pound bow today is more efficient than a 70 pound from 10 or 15 years ago.

I'm sure Mathews' latest flagship hunting bow is just as good or better but I'm trying to stop buying a new one every year.

Have owned/shot all different brands of compound bows. Sold everything 5 years ago when my left shoulder went bad and haven't kept up with the industry. Had surgery 2 years ago (SLAP Tear of Labrum). All better now and feel I can get back into it. I'm NOT gonna try to pull 80 lb draw again, but believe I could pull 60-70 as long as the bow is forgiving. I am also not chasing speed. I prefer quiet over speed.

I'd like a bow with at least a 7" brace height, less than 34" axle to axle, less than 4.5 pounds, and easy to draw.

I had a PSE X-Force years ago and getting the cams to turn over while kneeling in a blind was a chore.

Also remember several Mathews (solo cams) being very easy to to draw and hold in awkward positions.

What do y'all recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Will
Greetings!
I've had shoulder replacement surgery and here in Washington state I am eligible to use a crossbow,
My doctor filled out the required paperwork & sent it in and now I have a Wicked ridge crossbow .
Kinda noisy but gets the job done.

What do y'all recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Will
Sorry about your surgery. I had 2 rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder, and I know what you mean. I dropped mine from 62 to 52 lbs, not because I cannot pull, but because I want to draw and hold for 2 minutes just in case I get to those situations. I still hunt with PSE X-force and can relate to its aggressiveness; a speedy set-up, but it is not forgiving.

If you are near an archery/bow shop, it is best to try them yourself. There are so many offerings it is hard to keep. Good luck, and heal well.