Recommend a forgiving bow to draw....

Bows from different manufacturers are so different now days. I go my local shop and fire the new models every year. It's amazing how much smoother they're getting while maintaining speeds that were unattainable at 50-60lbs a decade ago. The new Bowtechs and Hoyts are the smoothest/easiest drawing imo. I think the Bowtech SR350 was the smoothest/easiest 'speed bow' this year. You could ratchet that thing down to 55-60# and still have decent speed. I was tempted to buy it the minute I pulled it in the store but have to control myself when it comes to new bows :).

As suggested drop poundage. Bows are becoming more efficient and the selection of arrows and broad-heads is endless but helpful.

Some bows go as high as 85% let-off but some of those have a sharp curve to get there. Also check state regulations. Didn't realize some actually monitor max l/o.

I've also found bows with long riser, with shorter limbs and aggressive cams, (target bows) to be the smoothest through the draw cycle.
I did not know that. I was going to mention that the P&Y record books have a max let-off. Not that I'm concerned that could be an issue for me :)

Last year I switched to an Elite Remedy and it's a dream to shoot at 65bs. It's very accurate and excellent draw cycle, if I ever get time to shoot in 3d it will be the how I use.

I highly agree with grouse. Having shot several Mathews, and liked them, when I shot the Bowtech SS (Super Smooth) it was game over for me. Perfect draw, very quiet, and way more accurate than I can shoot. At my age, 69, it no doubt is the last vertical bow I will ever need. I pull 60lbs yet with no issues. I tried a Mathews Mission x-bow that was unbelievably loud, but that and handling a horizontal bow in vertical trees just didn't suit me. Good luck!

Thanks for chiming in Glenn.

I have the Sub-1 XR Crossbow and while it is fast and accurate at distance, it is loud and doesn't lend itself well to tree handling or long walks.

I like the idea of going back to vertical.

Will

My buddy has a Bowtech realm and it is a 7 '' brace if I remember but also a real smooth bow, think it has adjustable screw on it for cam lean, which I wanted.But I found a good deal on the v3x.I only have a stubby 4 '' stabilizer on it, but it just sits. I also scrapped my wrist sling after a lifetime and its not bothering me at all.Use to catch on my bow hooks, and sometime harder getting bow ready Can't wait..
IMG_0018.JPG

I agree with the previously mentioned "go to a GOOD bow shop". All of this seems so subjective. I shot the new biotech and couldn't stand how it loud the arrow popped off the string, and the hand shock was distracting. Tell whoever what your needs are and pick the bow that checks the boxes. The technology has really changed, but well placed arrows from sticks have been killing stuff for a while now…

I agree with the previously mentioned "go to a GOOD bow shop". All of this seems so subjective. I shot the new biotech and couldn't stand how it loud the arrow popped off the string, and the hand shock was distracting. Tell whoever what your needs are and pick the bow that checks the boxes. The technology has really changed, but well placed arrows from sticks have been killing stuff for a while now…

That's the thing.. it's all subjective. Archery is interesting. Throw all that stuff out the window. If you're just stand hunting whitetails at 10-20 yards buy some cheap bow. Anyone can hit a breadbasket at 10-20 yards with the cheapest bow. If trying to stalk animals here out west it's a real PITA. I'd rather just hunt with a long gun or blackpowder. I have a sub 6lb 308 rifle setup and trying to hunt with a bow out here is not fun carrying that same weight. I still love archery and keep a newer archery setup every 5-10 years. Still on a Hoyt RX-4 Turbo from 5 years ago and nothing I've tested has made me want to spend $1200-1500 for any of the new ones.

Go to a longer recurve.... 50#

Funny you mention that. I was thinking of trying long-ish recurve before going all-in $$$ on another vertical compound setup, but know very little about them.

I can only assume it's not as expensive when starting from scratch.

Will

Have owned/shot all different brands of compound bows. Sold everything 5 years ago when my left shoulder went bad and haven't kept up with the industry. Had surgery 2 years ago (SLAP Tear of Labrum). All better now and feel I can get back into it. I'm NOT gonna try to pull 80 lb draw again, but believe I could pull 60-70 as long as the bow is forgiving. I am also not chasing speed. I prefer quiet over speed.

I'd like a bow with at least a 7" brace height, less than 34" axle to axle, less than 4.5 pounds, and easy to draw.

I had a PSE X-Force years ago and getting the cams to turn over while kneeling in a blind was a chore.

Also remember several Mathews (solo cams) being very easy to to draw and hold in awkward positions.

What do y'all recommend?

Remember.... smoothest draw to the wall.

Thanks in advance.

Will
I still shoot my Mathews Z7 Magnum. Such a smooth draw. You could not go wrong with many bows these days, IMO. I would suggest go out & shoot a few then decide. I had saw one in the classifieds a little while ago for sale. Arrows bow, case ready to go for a lot less than a new setup. I believe it was a 60 lb setup. I shoot around 65 lb with bad shoulders.

Last edited: