starter bow for kids

clemens

In need of some information. I have 2 kids who are interested in shooting a bow. This will be there first ones. I have looked at the Hoyt Ruckess about $250-300 complete set up but this is out of price at this time. Looked at the crosman elkhorn Jr. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this bow. My kids wing span is right around 65.5-66 draw length around 26"
They need the lower draw weight at this time 15-25 or so. Any ideas or help. I understand cheaper bows prob won't stay in tune long so it is a catch 22, don't want to spend big $ at this time. Next year if they really want to continue will step up and get something they can grow into.

Most of the adjustable youth bows on the market will have a minimum poundage at 26" over what you are needing. The ruckus with 35# limbs would fit your requirements. What are you planning to do with this bow? 26" DL would put them on average in the 5'6"-5'7" range. Being a certified NFAA, NASP, JOAD and Bowhunter safety instructor I have had the pleasure of teaching many youths. I would recommend looking at the Genesis bows, they are lower priced and a very good leaning tool. As far as hunting, the poundage they currently handle I feel is way below what should be used for hunting. Until recently the state I live in had a 40# min requirement to legally use for hunting.

Sox35 Thanks for the reply. At this time they would be only target shooting. Was just looking to.get them started. The bow tech I talked to said the ruckus would go down to 20lb's but out of budget at this time. I have seen others in the 150-175 range but not sure if quality. Was asking about the crosman just in case they don't want to do it anymore I wouldn't have to worry to much about resale. You have idea what the Genesis bows run for price. What about Diamond? Heard there customer service isn't to good but I not going to take one persons word on that. So if push comes to shove can the crosman be set up decent to get started? Will admit I liked that ruckus nice bow.

Look like a genisis bow will go for around $150-170 depending on color. At our club we use goldtip lightning arrows, they fly nice and are very durable. The national archery in the schools program only allows the genesis in there program. Nice thing about the genesis is no accessories are needed, no sights or release is allowed in NASP tournaments. My son reached bronze level in open freestyle in JOAD by age 10, he is used to shooting equipment costing in the thousands. He loves to go back to the basics and shoot his genesis, ranges out to 30yds are easy to obtain, my son will shoot 2" or under groups with ease at 20 yards. They are great bows to learn on and easly sold used for almost new prices.

You can look into the diamond bows, their customer service is not ****** in no way shape or form. I know I got both of my kids into shooting the diamond bows my girl was 4 and my boy was 3. They have some really good bows As far as buying a new one for 150-170 that might be difficult. I would say if i had to buy a bow for a child of that size i would really look into the infinate edge but like I said they are more then what you are looking to spend. I dont have any opinions on the other bow you asked about because i have never messed with one. Try looking in the classified adds on archerytalk.com they always have some cheap deeals on there.

I hope this helps.

I did just look that crosman up. I would say if you are wanting to get them involved in archery you should set them up with the products that are going to make it as enjoyable as possible. What I am getting at is if you get them a little better equipment to start with and it is easier to shoot and they can have a better time because they can shoot it better then there is a better chance they will stick with it. That infinate edge goes from 5 pound to 70 pounds and has a huge draw length adjustment. You could buy them one bow and it would grow with them for years!

See if you can find a used Mission Craze. Great bow for kids and plenty of room to grow into it. Might be on the high end of your range though. I'm not familiar with the others models to comment.

PSE Fever or Fever One have great range in draw length and poundage. I just ordered my 12 yo daugther a 50 lbs fever one. It is an awsome bow. I think one of the best if not the best kids/ladies bow on the market. She had a Ruckus and my boy had a bear. Both were stolen last year. This PSE blows the hoyt away. it has a solid wall and draws really smooth.

just my .02.

+1 for the infinite edge. Fully adjustable from 5-70 lbs, lots of draw length adjustments and can be shot for a long time without out outgrowing it. Plus you can easily adjust it yourself.:D

Browning used to have a great line of small bows for kids and women. I think they we called the micro series with the micro Midas being the most expensive at around $250. I bought my wife one called the Lady Impulse for $200. And that was new. It's adjustable from 30-45 lbs and they have very large cams for making the draw easy. My wife loved it. It is very compact, light, quiet, and very accurate. She still has it stored away for our boy to use when he gets a few years older but has a Mission now and loves it. I don't know if browning still has this line but they were very good bows at a very affordable price.

Here is a pic. Most of the accessories went on the mission. Other than the sting additions, and limb savers, this is how the bow comes. Mossy oak camo and a laminated wood grip. 32" axle to axle. Weighs approx 3 lbs

Jared

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 155
I would look into the Diamond Razor Edge by Bowtech. Fairly inexpensive, fast, and light weight. I'm a teenager and I've had the Razor Edge for years. Shoots very fast and would fit a beginner easily. I pulled 60 pounds and had a 27 inch draw length. Had no problems with the bow and they could use the bow for many years to come. I bought the new Carbon Knight so Bowtech is a very good company. I would also look into the Matthews Riot because my friend has killed 3 deer with his bow and it is very fast, smooth, and quiet. The Hoyt Ruckus is a very good decision but my opinion is a Razor Edge or Riot is the best way to go for a beginner.

The Mathews Mission Riot it goes down to 15 pounds and up to 70 its draw length is 19 to 29 inches it could fit almost everybody a really good bow. I know from personal experience

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.